Friday, February 23, 2007

Happy Birthday, Carolyn!

Let's hear a big Happy Birthday to Carolyn, my lovely MIL, she lives waaaaaay down south, southern Texas, what they call the Valley area.

She is a lovely and most gracious southern woman, lots of fun, she has 2 beers lunches, her favourite. And she is one funny lady! And yes, I love her.

Bobby and I flew down to their home last Spring, spent a couple/three days, and get this, they have a grapefruit orchard on their front lawn, seriously, and it's beautiful. Their grapefruit is the very best I have ever eaten....that sweet red kind.

They took us down into Mexico while we were there, one of the day-trips...they also took us out on a dolphin watch, amazing. Yes, we got to see real live wild dolphins swimming around, they'd come up to the boat and check us out, look us over, it was absolutely amazing.

We ate good food, drank good liquor, walked in sand, watched for alligators,(yes, from their back yard), I did some knitting while I was there, (surprised?). I'm telling you, a good time was had by all!

I don't get to see Carolyn nearly enough, oh sure, Bob gets to town more often, but Carolyn? not enough. She should be here next month sometime and I'm hoping we'll all be able to get together, do some of that eating and drinking and laughing stuff that we seem to do so well.

I've got some photos from that trip, I'll check that folder and see if I can find a couple to show, she'll probably want to whap me a good one (just please mind the divot, thank you) but she won't...whap me that is, she WILL probably want to.

I did find the photos, let's see how they do.

Here's Carolyn,

(did I mention how pretty she is?) we're out on the dolphin watch, very windy day, the pooch belonged to the nice lady who took us out on the water. Really nice dog.

See the dolphin?


This is Bobby and I, we stopped off for yet more 'refreshments' and to walk some beach.


Yep, the alligator I told you about, photo taken from their backyard. Seriously.



Some fun and games......what birthday would be complete without some fun and games?

Also, putting the dancing kites in here, just in case Carolyn missed them a few posts ago.



Dancing Kites
http://www.kitelife.com/videos/demo/bethell_promo.htm



I'm a Porsche 911!



You have a classic style, but you're up-to-date with the latest technology. You're ambitious, competitive, and you love to win. Performance, precision, and prestige - you're one of the elite,and you know it.


Take the Which Sports Car Are You? quiz.




My Fortune Cookie told me:
Your therapist has you mixed up with another patient. Don't believe a thing she tells you.
Get a cookie from Miss Fortune




My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Her Most Serene Highness Lady Marianne the Incomplete of Hoptonshire by Leer
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title




Your Monster Profile

Demon Nightmare

You Feast On: Fried Chicken

You Lurk Around In: The Ocean

You Especially Like to Torment: Blondes




You Should Rule Jupiter

Huge and hot, Jupiter is a quickly turning planet with short days and intense gravity.

You are perfect to rule Jupiter, because you are both dominant and kind.
You have great strength and confidence, but you never abuse your power.

You are always right. Even if you make mistakes, you compensate for them... before anyone knows it.
Headstrong and ambitious, you always have a goal in mind. You are optimistic and believe thing things will always work out.


And of course, a little fun for my knitterly friends.....






What Kind of Knitter Are You?




You appear to be a Knitting Purist. You are an accomplished knitter producing beautiful pieces with a classic feel. You sometimes lament losing half of your local yarn shop to garish novelty yarns. Perhaps you consider fun fur scarves the bane of knitting society and prefer to steer new knitters towards the wool and cotton blends. Some might call you a bit of an elitist but you know that you've been doing this craft long enough to respect the history behind it and honor it with beautiful piece that can last a lifetime. http://marniemaclean.com
Take this quiz!








Quizilla |
Join

| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code




Happy Birthday! Carolyn.

Happy Knitting to All and please, continue to make.good.time.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh a great M.I.L ...sob ..and with all those grapefruits ...sob ..no honestly what a lovely lady I wish her a very happy day indeed. If that is you in the photo Marianne you look about 30 ..what is the secret !

23 February, 2007 13:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Carolyn! How lucky you are to have a MIL you love.

23 February, 2007 13:48  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hooray for lovely MILs (and funny monsters too)

23 February, 2007 14:29  
Blogger Norma said...

Happy Birthday, Carolyn!

Good mother-in-laws are hard to come by.

23 February, 2007 16:32  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Happy B-day Caroline!! And good luck with those alligators (slight shudder). I guess one could always chuck grapefruit at them in an emergency....

23 February, 2007 18:48  
Blogger Joanna said...

Happy birthday Carolyn, and how lucky for you to have such a lovely mother-in-law!

24 February, 2007 03:04  
Blogger picperfic said...

How wonderful that you have such a special relationship with your MIL, I do hope to have that rapport with Barry's Mum eventually, I have met her and I do love her to bits but her beliefs are hindering our relationship, which is a shame but we'll get there one day.
I picked lemons off a tree in Cyprus this time last year and we smuggled it home to make the most tangy and delicious lemon meringue pie with it, we had a good holiday last year, my first real holiday abroad, Maisie came too, it is a wonderful memory to cherish. I can almost taste those pink grapefuits, warm from the tree!
Mexico, Dolphin!! Is that Bob's Mum? She looks so young, our age in fact! I must admit, I quickly scoured down through the photos to see the one with you in it, I wish I could hug you, you look lovely and I guess your fringe is handy for covering up your divot ;^) Hope that it's healing well and not giving you any pain in the process. I'm going to have a look at the games you've brought to the party, Happy Birthday M's MIL!!

24 February, 2007 06:27  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

What a lovely post apart from the aligators Yikes !!don't think I'd like them in my back garden

24 February, 2007 08:59  
Blogger Dianne said...

Happy Birthday Carolyn..Cheers to good MIL's..they're much like a box of chocolate..you just never know what you'll
get~~mine..hmmmm..she's a TIGER but we get along famously because I've tamed her and she knows I'm the best that could ever happen to her only child!!~~ Happy Knitting

24 February, 2007 13:30  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

24 February, 2007 21:18  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

The birthdays don't seem to be having much effect on Carolyn. I hope I look half as good when I have grown grandchildren. What am I talking about? I don't look half as good now and my grandchildren have not even been born yet. I love that picture. I love that dog, what a cute little pooch!. Love the grapefruit and the dolphins, but the alligators...not so much. That would have been enough to send me screaming back to OK.

I have been knitting like crazy since I left your house the other day, thanks again for the needles, I have made a lot of progress on Bob's sweetheart shorts. I couldn't have done it without you.

I hope the divot has continued to improve.

24 February, 2007 21:19  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Love your picture!!! Here's a cyberhug to you: (((M)))
I clicked to get the full effect. What a cute couple you are. :-) M.I.L looks like one of those warm, friendly people that everyone likes.

Ymmm, fresh pink grapefruits from the tree. When we lived in N. Arizona we'd drive to Phoenix each year in early January for some major shopping. We'd stay with friends who had grapefruit trees. That was the only thing I liked about the area.

26 February, 2007 22:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home