Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Rambles with a Rant thrown in.......

I've been a bit distracted lately, this does not bode well with ADD, anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Lots and lots of fun. NOT.

I did receive a very quick email from Angie the other day after I last posted, she is, of course, sick with worry about Jeff's physical state, as per her email he would be in hospital this week having tests run, they weren't sure what the problem was exactly so exploratory tests were on order. I've not heard back from her, therefore I don't know anything more. I do know that I have kept her, Jeff and Holly close and sent huge amounts of love and healing thoughts and prayers. I'd like to thank everyone who took some time to do the same, keep the thoughts and prayers flowing.


Now, since I have you in the mood maybe, you can see that I'm a proud member of the Dulaan Brigade (see that button on my sidebar?) and for those out there who might want to do a really good deed, or deeds...check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3HovTEFoO which is titled "One Steppe at a Time", the other link about the knitting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ODiK3YdZ2o go watch them, I'd be surprised if you didn't knit at least one thing, be it a hat, mittens, scarf, vest, you name it, these beautiful people need it all.
If those links don't take you to those 2 particular 'youtubes' then go to www.youtube.com and type in Dulaan in the search space. Be prepared for your heart and soul to be touched.

I'll be going through clothes around here....you know those clothes (well, maybe not, but I have them around here) that are there for...options? And the bluejeans (32x32) that Bobby has, ahem, grown out of (to 33x32) and they're not hardly worn...sweaters, long sleeved heavy t-shirts, there may even be jackets around here that might not be warm enough for their severe winters but certainly would be good for the milder temps of late spring, very early autumn. Yep, gonna gather them up, give them all a good washing for good measure and pack them all off to Flagstaff, Arizona. The knits of course will be heading to Sedona, Arizona.

Now for an update on that beautiful gift certificate Bobby gave me for our anniversary.....I took it all in, traded out one of the skeins of cashmere for a RED skein, oooooh, pretty! And, remember I was going to trade the rest in on some of that buffalo yarn? to make him some bed socks? WARNING: Rant ahead. At first I can't find it....I wander the shop 3-4 times, thinking I've seen it all, surely, so I ask....oh, there in the WINDOW.....in a huge, we're talking HUGE bowl, and it's full to overflowing with buffalo yarn, ok? Now, I went online to American Buffalo Products just to scope it out, see what the prices were....$48.00/skein, and thinking back to the last time I had been in that particular lys, I recall their price to be around 50.00-52.00 maybe....but I picked up a skein to look at the tag....(whatthefuck!)....I know I didn't say that loudly...in fact I THOUGHT I had said this just in my head but it may have come out as a whisper, under your breath type of thing.....and why? $59.99. Yep.
Now, I do understand that 'making a profit' gig...I do..but you know the company that makes the stuff is making a profit at 48.00 a whack, and that 'as a rule' those companies sell to other companies at an amount less than their selling price, right? or am I wrong? I'm thinking even if the lys is having to pay 48.00 a whack (which I really really doubt) still..I know, that shipping and handling business, but guess what? Both businesses are in Oklahoma....not that far away from each other, hell, someone could drive there in an afternoon, have a pleasant drive and....you get my drift...still....what they have going now (if you even think for a moment they're paying 48.00) is a 12.00 profit/skein. WHY. Why indeed, and of course in that split second it hit me 'why indeed'....that IK issue with the little ankle socks? yep, that one, Buffalo Gold buffalo yarn sells for 60.00/skein. I'm just going to take a really wild guess here...SNERK...they thought they could sell theirs for the same amount....guess what....did I walk out of there with the buffalo yarn? HAH, hell no. This decision has absolutely nothing to do with how much I love my husband...when he gets his buffalo bed socks the yarn will have come from the company online. That's my story....and yes, I'm going to stick with it. nuff said. ALL CLEAR....RANT OVER.....

In the knitting....like I mentioned above I've just been distracted, and knitting has been on the slow side. I do have socks on the needles, made with Lisa Souza sock merino in the Sage colour....yes, oh so pretty, oh so soft. See, Dana and I made a deal, we made this deal before the holidays set in...we met through comments we had left on a Harlot post..about socks. Dana doesn't knit socks (although, she's being sorely tempted), go check out her blog, her 24 Jan. 07 post says it all, I loved this post, seriously, go on, read it. Dana, however, is the absolute Queen of the Felted Clogs...she is the Felted Clog Superwoman, she has knit so many of these....Our deal? I'm knitting her some socks, she's knitting and felting me some clogs. YAY. That's a definite win/win situation. I have one more sock to go, and I've got to admit, these socks are going to be hard to part with, just so you know, Dana.

My son, Avery, has been wanting some fingerless mits so in the odd minute here and there I've been playing around with the yarn, having knit up a ways, frogged, done something different...frogged again...it'll work itself out, I know.

In the meantime, it snowed here a bit this morning. It's cold too. Not snowing at the moment but maybe there'll be more later tonight...

I'm also waiting on a package from Peace Fleece, my SIL gave me a gift certificate for my birthday...I am so excited. Over on Jason's blog (I love Jason) he was writing about this yarn....doesn't say what it is yet, there's a photo that just took my breath away...and then I read....Peace Fleece...Anna's Grasshopper which is exactly one of the colours I ordered...then in his next post he swatches, and bathes it.....mmmmmmmmm. Plus, Kate is always singing its praises, loud and clear and I have the very highest regard for her opinions about yarn..plus, she has an article in the Knitty surprise, addressing our beloved stash as a...collection, go read, and congratulations Kate! I checked the tracking on my package...it says TODAY!!!!!

Happy Knitting to All and continue to make.good.time.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

Sings amen from the amen corner..that's totally ridiculous!!I'm very proud of the fact that you walked away..and it's not about $$..it's just totally principle~~Thanks for the Sock Lusting Site..always happy to see all the other options out there..and compare $.
You will be so pleased with your clogs from Dana..I've seen them, felt them..and even had my foot in one..can we say..Nice!!
Enjoyed your rant..and also hate the 'gouging'..~
Happy Knitting~~

31 January, 2007 15:12  
Blogger Dianne said...

Well..sorry, that was not totally correct..I've had my foot in..'one' clog..not yours..she teased me at our last S&B meeting by letting me 'slip' my foot in one for 60 seconds..!!
I'm not responsible for what I'm saying at this point..my head is 'up in the clouds' in search of those snowflakes..they swear it's coming~~**does my snow dance again for good measure~~

31 January, 2007 17:15  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Man oh man. It doesn't become any less despicable with the second telling. How can they justify that kind of price gouging? It's YARN. If Sue at Little Knits can sell at the reasonable ones that she does, then I think other folks can as well. See, I'm ranting with you! Can't wait to see the clogs. I'm itching for some myself....

31 January, 2007 18:12  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

You will love the clogs, I made a pair for myself and I would live in them if I could. Very comfy and warm.

31 January, 2007 18:26  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

I understand your rant. I'm often tempted to rant, but from the other perspective. I don't want to take up space here, maybe I'll devote a blog posting on it sometime.

What a great trade with Dana!

31 January, 2007 23:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:: Blush :: Did you get the package?? I picked up my swatch two days ago and found it even softer! Maybe it wasn't completely dry when I measured it? So I measured it again. Whoa! 4 sts per inch instead of 4.125. It grew. LOL So, I blocked it again just to see what happens.

I can't wait to hear how you like the yarn. About the Buffalo yarn, I just don't know what to say. The price tag is a shocker alright. Eek!

01 February, 2007 15:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy fuck. And people have wondered at me why I bought acrylic until I discovered coned yarns on eBay. 'Cause I'm on a fixed budget, people, and it'd be $90 for yarn enough for a sweater, or food for a month, that's why! Easy choice, there.
Although jewelry's even worse. I know you said you did beading... Did you ever find out that the regular jewelry markup is 300-350%? This is why you don't try and sell your wedding rings to a jeweler or even a pawn shop, after you're deserted at the altar. They're not gonna pay you even a pittance of full retail, 'cause they know what it actually costs. You find some other civilian who doesn't know what the wholesale prices are and sell it to them, instead.
Cool on the clog deal, enjoy warm feet! ;)

01 February, 2007 19:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last I am thinking straight ..thanks for all your kind thoughts etc Marianne. I think I might sleep solid for some six months pretty soon ! Angie x

02 February, 2007 01:00  
Blogger picperfic said...

oh gggrrrr...I lost my post in cyberspace!

Tries again.....

Oh Marianne, I love your words (and your WTF!!)

I don't know which link to click on first and have to stop myself from clicking on them as I read...you send me off into so many different directions! Thank you...I need the diversion right now x

02 February, 2007 06:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home