Wednesday, January 17, 2007

FI Mansock......

I really wish I'd gone out and taken photos yesterday of the white treacherously slick concrete-like stuff that's covering everything...yesterday there was a bit of sunshine, you could see the glaze, this morning...no sunshine.

I was actually trying to remember the last time I left the house...other than to walk out and get the newspaper, it was last Wednesday, the 10th, ran out for lightbulbs. So this is day 7 and really, it's not so bad...at all. It does help that I'm knitting from my stash for the year, and it does help that I'm not needing any sock yarn, in other words I'm not 'needing' to go to the LYS to get my fix of wool fumes, fondling the yarns, etc. We've had the good fortune of our power staying on so there's the bit of food in the freezer, and the 'other' stuff in the pantry, so really, it's all good. To all you good people who have to go out into the above mentioned conditions, keep it safe and cautious.

Here's a mansock for you.



I finished it off yesterday morning as in weaving those ends in, Bobby came home last night and asked for it, he put it on and remarked how nice and so much more warmer it was than his other socks...even the ones I've made him, there's a reason for this...the yarn.
Knitpicks Telemark which is a very sturdy sport weight, Peruvian wool, knitting the socks on US3s, and since his ankles aren't that big..I cast on 48 stitches, did the k2p2 for the ribbing....then just played around with the colours for the pattern.
The funny thing is.....I did all that, divided the stitches in half for knitting the heel flap, picked up those gusset stitches and started decreasing as per usual...then zoomed on the foot and ack...ran out of the dark brown (I have another skein for the 2nd sock) hmmmmmmm. At that point I did try the sock on his foot and it's damned near perfect as far as fit, the length of the foot, and I was planning on using the Burlap colour for both heel and toe, cool, so I start decreasing on the toe and nearly finished..... when I finally start hearing that alarm bell that's been going off in my head....I look at the loaded needles and count, dude, I had the same number of stitches on each needle, now you may be thinking....so?....right, I have 3 needles loaded and that's just not right, WTF, after sitting there for.....what seems to be 30 minutes just staring in disbelief at the knitting.... ok, I'm not the greatest at taking stitches off needles and frogging back then picking up stitches to go back on the needles, a complete klutz is what I am, so what do I do? oh yeah....tink city here I come, thank whatever powers that be it's just the toe...so I tink and tink and finally get to the point where I started the decreases....count the stitches....hmmmmm 56. I had not decreased enough times to get me back to the original 48. I looked at Bobby and asked him how he thought the sock fit, how it felt.....too loose? why no, it fit like a glove, in fact it fit perfectly. Whew. So, the 56 stitches stayed put and I rearranged the stitches to their proper places and decreased, grafted that toe, started weaving in the ends.....



the gratuitous 'inside' for those of you who like that sort of thing (don't we all?) and I do like to think the unholy alliance is still in force.....



Close up on the pattern.


Bobby got home last night and asked if it was finished, I showed it to him, he put it on, left it on, slept in it. He so graciously took it off this morning and handed it to me, as I told him I needed it to make a matching mate.....(although....I think mixing up the patterns would've been fun).

Speaking of socks, Julie has some socks up, loving the colours, happy colours, but she's used Grumperina's pretty gusset instructions, yeah, check it out, I'm going to be using them on the next pair of socks I make.

Dianne has been knitting on her First Sock Ever, go cheer her on, she's doing a great job and has stepped wholeheartedly over to the Dark Side, welcome her with open arms.

FSF Jo has been spinning and has been posting the most delectable photos of fibres, she's also completed her first pair of Jaywalkers, they're beautiful. Also, that beautiful boy of hers, Neo, will be celebrating his birthday tomorrow, go send him lots of birthday wishes.

Kelly has been spindling, her first spindling ever and I am so impressed and inspired with/by her yarn.....there's no stopping her now. Look at that BFL fibre, it brought tears to my eyes, I really want some of that goodness. Also....she has a photo of Molly, I am so charmed, completely. Seriously, Molly is a must see.



Happy Knitting to All and continue to make good time.

7 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Yeah, it IS super-slick out, isn't it? I fell down twice in my driveway this morning, scraped my finger, fell twice on the same hip, which is starting to get sore, but otherwise ok. Glad you've been able to stay in, but it sounds like we're getting another round this weekend!

Stay warm!

17 January, 2007 11:08  
Blogger Rhonda said...

The weather has been just as bad here in Lawton. The kids are off from school again today. I don't think I have left the house since Friday. And to think we are suppose to get more this weekend. I love the socks. Stay safe and warm. Rhonda

17 January, 2007 11:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could stay inside for 7 days!

That sock is BEAUTIFUL! So funny that he wore it all night :)

17 January, 2007 11:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness that weather sounds awful .We don't get these extremes but last time we had slippery surfaces Jeff impaled his hand on a spiked fence .Luckily Ambulances were on patrol and he was on a main road near the hospital .
I love that sock ,something keeps stopping me knitting socks even though I wear them as a trouser gal. One day I will do it !

17 January, 2007 12:35  
Blogger Dianne said...

That is a true 'mansock'..I love it!!...good to hear you're safe, have electricity, food and lots of yarn..what more can a gal need?
Thanks for sending folks to view my blog..I'm currently stuck between the heel flap and gusset..and no clue where to go..that's why we have lesson 3..Happy Knitting!!~~

17 January, 2007 13:37  
Blogger Charity said...

Wonderful sock, Marianne! I'm impressed - I'm finally getting to the place where colourwork isn't too scary, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to do a sock like that! :0)

17 January, 2007 20:16  
Blogger Strumpstickan said...

Nice pattern!

24 January, 2007 00:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home