Friday, December 29, 2006

Weird? Pretty much.....


The Rules:Each player of this game starts with the ‘six weird things about you.’ People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own six weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose six people to be tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says ‘you are tagged’ in their comments and tell them to read your blog.”

Those are the 'rules'.

I've been tagged, and I will do this, list 6 weird things about me, when actually there's not a lot that's NOT weird about me, ask any member of my family, ask any friend, they'll tell you, they'll tell you ALL about the weirdness. Now I'd like to point out that the name of this blog is....."Marianne's Knotminding" close your eyes and say this to yourself...ok? I'm not tagging anyone, so if anyone reading this would like to participate, please feel free to do so. "The Rules" are listed above, you can mind them or not, I'm Marianne and I'm Knotminding.

I have always felt a clear connection to 'weird', when I was in the 2nd grade, our homeroom teacher had us play a spelling game, she started it off with a word for the first person, then that person would have to come up with a word that started with the last letter of her word. I ended up with 'w', the first and only word I could think of was...'weird'....my teacher got a funny look on her face but at the same time she was just a little impressed in that I did spell it correctly.

1. With all my children, and grandchildren...when they were just wee bairns, I would use more 'sounds' than 'words' to get their attention, and the sound to fit the situation, from the sshhhhhhh to soothe, a low rumbling growl which always made them stop moving, they would then look at me like they were waiting for further direction which I would then give...there were happy little sounds, clicks, and chirps,etc, it was always very effective and very fascinating to watch them respond to the various sounds. I also make this 'sound' it's a funny little sound, yeah, with my mouth, and babies and small children love it and they can't figure out how to do it, in fact, I've not known anyone else who can make this sound, various adults have tried, I don't know how to explain how to do it but so far it seems to be all mine.

2. I take care of an online Neopet. Yep, she's 533 days old. My grandson, Conor, and I had gone to the Neopet site and he,(with my help) created this beastie. Here's what she looks like. cute,eh?


I play one game, and one game only, everyday, to 'earn' neopoints with which I 'buy' food for her and feed her, when I play a game, she's right there with me playing it too. I give her toys to play with, books to read, musical instruments for her to play, if I'm going away for a couple of days or so I book her into a lodge for the time I'm gone, they take care of her, feed her, etc, until I can get back....you see, after Conor and I created her he took care of her when he was here (it was during the summer) and I didn't think much about it until school started back in, then I happened to 'check' on her and it said she was dying...of starvation...and I've been taking good care of her since. Can anyone else possibly top this for 'weird'?

3. There's music in my head going all.the.time. It changes here and there, but it's going.all.the.time.

4. I see stories in my head while listening to instrumental music, it's not something I 'direct' it just comes to me. This is why I can't listen to music to fall asleep with, the stories keep me awake.

5. I look at colours/art and hear sounds/music that are clearly connected to them(the colours)(and of course with the music comes the story) and when I hear music I see colours (and no, they don't tend to interfere with the stories).

6. I have a severe directional glitch, it's a form of dyslexia I know...and it can be pretty funny to the person sitting in the passenger seat and they know where we're 'supposed' to be going...now I can learn a dance routine in a snap but take the direction outside of my body and unless I'm really familiar with the area of town I'm in...I'll get lost...in a heartbeat....I'm forever forgetting where I park my vehicle too. When I'm by myself I've been known to wander around parking lots for quite some time before I find my vehicle, so that's kind of weird, mostly ditzy,eh?

Well, there you have just a tiny sampling of my weirdness.


Here's a photo of the Irish Hiking Scarf, still working on it, it's around 4 inches wide and right now approx. 35 inches long.




Specs: 100% Cashmere colour rich violet, from Sarah's Yarns. 200 yds/skein, I've used 1 skein and have started on the left over skein used to make a pair of Fetching. Using US 5 needles. This scarf is for my mother, I tucked this in her gift bag (yep, needles and all) along with her Fetching, she did get a bit of a panicked look on her face when she saw those needles, but I assured her that no, she wasn't finishing it, I would.


I would also like to make a note here on the image I posted for Winter Solstice. I ran a search on Google for 'winter solstice' images, lots and lots of beautiful pieces there, this one really caught my eye though, I clicked on it, it took me to this blog, a lovely man, he had used the image on his winter solstice post last year....I emailed him about the image, had he created this stunning piece? no, he wished....a friend had sent it to him and he didn't know where it came from, I then went back to the image, and it did have another url....lwsart.org/winter solstice.jpg, which leads nowhere. I did finally find lwsart...Louisiana Watercolor Society, but after searching through the site I could not find hide nor hair of this image......so...to whoever created this beautiful piece of art, it's beyond stunning to me, and all I wanted to do was share it with friends and loved ones because some of them are going to respond to the image with some amazing feelings....also if you find your image on my blogsite I would love to visit with you, please email me (it's on my profile info).

I did get one very beautiful fibre related holiday gift, from my sweet mother, but I'm going to save it for the next post, hah! No kidding, it's beautiful, it's a piece of art, and I haven't yet found the quiet time to sit and play with it yet but soon....soon...

Happy Knitting to all and continue to make good time.

12 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Marianne, I think these things are special! I love hearing about the things that make you so unique!

The scarf is lovely, I'm sure your mother will be thrilled to wear the scarf and gloves. How nice to be treated to such luxury! :0)

29 December, 2006 12:08  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

The ability to hear stories and see colors with music is something that I hear musicians talking about, mostly classical violinists that I read about. For some, each Key has its own color: blue for the Key of Cmaj, Orange for Amaj etc. Do you assign Keys their own color too? A very special gift!

Ed and Aurora are directionally challenged. They can get lost in a paper bag. LOL

29 December, 2006 13:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My beautiful 100% violet cashmere is being knit into a Branching Out Scarf! Just slips so softly through the fingers - knitting with anything else now is going to be a whole lot less pleasure. You have spoiled me, Marianne!

29 December, 2006 17:33  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Oh, so pretty on that scarf, Sweetie! I just want to reach out and pet it.

No surprise, I can't sleep to music either...it's all those colors and stories. Do you find that numbers have definite colors? I do....4 is yellow, 9 is purple...okay, yeah. I'm seriously weird.

29 December, 2006 17:36  
Blogger Joanna said...

When are you going to tell us about the weird stuff? I think the colours and music thing is called synaesthesia, you hear music and see colours,Paul Klee (famous artist had it) A very special gift indeed!
Neo pets....cool! Neo's birthday is not until the 18th, not worried about that yet but it's K's birthday tomorrow.

30 December, 2006 06:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no sense of direction at all Marianne .I get lost in our Mall..it all looks the same to me anyhow. My counseller ( for anxiety) told me I have the most visual mind she had ever known .I have very vivid dreams and visualise feelings etc. I love the music thing ,how wonderful to "hear" stories .

30 December, 2006 07:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marianne, I can always hear music if I stop to listen. Typcially, that's the first thing I hear in the morning — my own internal music. Sometimes that's good and sometimes, it's not. You're no weirder than I!

30 December, 2006 08:20  
Blogger Holly said...

Only just found your comment Marianne...thank-you very much.I do intend to up-date that site soon.Mum has re-instated her old Blogger site but will mainly be using her wordpress one. Holly x

30 December, 2006 14:12  
Blogger Hege said...

Your irish hiking scarf is gorgeous, I am so impressed with the amount of knits you created this past year! The winter solstice image was very beautiful, thanks for showing it! Happy new year to you!

30 December, 2006 14:27  
Blogger Rhonda said...

read a comment left on another blog check out this lys owner
http://skeincocaine.blogspot.com/

30 December, 2006 17:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else - the colors and music thing is not wierd, it's a very special gift.

I am also directionally challenged. During one of our trips to Boston, every time Hubby and I left the hotel I would turn to go the wrong way - ALWAYS (and we were walking not driving)!

Thanks for the link; I'm heading there right now. Not planning on commenting though :)

30 December, 2006 18:55  
Blogger Rabbitch said...

Yes, you're weird.

And drop me a line at bunniegirl at shaw dot ca and I'll let you know who I'm ranting about.

30 December, 2006 22:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home