Monday, December 25, 2006

On the Eve and the Day...

On the Eve, which was last night, our family gathered together and it was great. It really is a good group, all fairly laid back and quick with the laughter and giggles. Aardron, my firstborn son, has a traditional t-shirt he wears Christmas Eve...an orange (this is an incredible orange) 'Mr. T' t-shirt. Yep. Family tradition for as many years as I can remember...our Eve dinner has been chili. It's a great chili, Mom's recipe which calls for bittersweet chocolate as an ingredient. It's good. This past year, Aardron was having health problems, in fact this had been going on for quite some time, and yes, he went to a doctor, said doctor...well, he didn't say much..so Deidre took him to the doctor that she, and Havala, and I go to, they ran tests and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. What this means is a great change in his diet and chili is definitely out of the picture now, and for always. This is alright, we had a traditional turkey dinner and it was all fabulous. Deidre's DM, Sandy and Sandy's husband, Dallas, (I adore both of these people) roasted the turkey and made the dressing, and Deidre's Grandmother Beth was also with us, (she and I have known each other...forever, I adore her also), Angie (Deidre's sister of her heart) was also with us with her two kids, Corey, who is a grown man now, and Tia...(well on her way to adulthood if not already there) who is an equally delightful young woman....I've watched them grow up, they're beautiful. Havala brought one of her famous salads, quite simple really, just lots of good greens, real greens. Her Sweetheart, Corey, love this dude, remember I made the Pirate Hat for his BD? 'nuff said, he was there. My Mom was there, of course, she's known as Granny to my kids, Nanny to the little ones, often referred to as Granny/Nanny, she makes the best fruit salad, fresh fruits with a dressing of plain,non-fat yogurt and a bit of honey, I could eat this by the buckets, and mustn't forget her deviled eggs. SIL Deborah was also there, she's having work done on her house and the scheduling is very close and she's been working like a madwoman trying to get ready for the tradespeople and she was feeling....well, not festive, and having pain with her joints from the work and wasn't going to come, but I talked her out of staying home and the slogging through.....remember that 'bluntness' thing I told you about? She came, she enjoyed, she had a few hours rest...and we're all glad she did. Oh yeah, DH Bobby and I were there also...I brought cream puffs....I only make these about 3 times per year, and since I made a double batch.....that's it for this year. Bobby and I also drove to a somewhat close town yesterday to visit with Avery, our son, gave him his holiday goodies, he made pecan pies this year for gifts, they're delicious. Of course, the Grandchildren, Conor and Gracie.....seriously people, Conor could very well be the.sweetest.nicest.boy.ever. I wish everyone could see this boy in action..don't get me wrong, he's as rowdy as the next kid but his show of affection, his thoughtfullness can and does bring tears to my eyes, he is one very cool dude..... and Gracie? what a little Princess, and thankfully there are many Queens to watch over her........she truly is my Petit Wild Woman....

It rained last night, no snow, but a really nice sprinkly rain, soft showers, I loved it.
I would've posted yesterday or last night but was just a bit too busy earlier in the day, what with all the pastries, then tired last night when we finally got in.

This is what I accomplished though, there are three pair of socks that are missing from this collection, already gifted out, along with more 'warshcloths'....also I still have a WIP going, a cashmere Irish Hiking Scarf to go with the cashmere Fetching....for my Mother, oh yeah, is she loved or what?


Aardron Mansocks, Gracie socks, and the 'Flame' Conor socks. An Auntie's Red Beret.



Mom's Fetching, and 'warshcloths'.


Deidre's Fuzzy Feet and...yes, 'warshcloth', SIL Deborah's Fetching and 'warshcloth'.


Avery and Corey Mansocks....and Havala's Fetching and 'warshcloth'.


Doesn't seem like much when it's there but it sure kept me busy, for quite some time.

Next year? I'm thinking I need to make a pair of socks every month, perhaps some months will get two made....to toss in the 'box' for safe keeping....but for now, I'm baking pumpkin pie this morning to take to an early afternoon dinner....and finish my Mom's scarf....then.....well, you know, there's ALWAYS more to knit!

Happy Knitting to All.....and continue to make good time.

9 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

Wow, look at all that great knitting you accomplished! Well done!

Merry, merry Christmas to you and your family :)

25 December, 2006 11:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Marianne..what absolutely gorgeous knitting...lucky giftees!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..and of course, Happy Knitting.
2007 is sock year for me..I may call on your wisdom and support when I get in 'over my needles'..

25 December, 2006 21:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Marianne. Enjoy your time with your family, and happy knitting

25 December, 2006 22:27  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Your lucky family are so blessed. And I'll tell you what--it looks like a lot of knitting to ME! You totally rule, and I'm wishing you a restful and peaceful post holiday week.

26 December, 2006 09:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great knitting sis! Sounds like you've been having a lovely time too! Also thanks for finding the time to comment daily on my blog, it really means alot to me to have you on board!
xoxox

26 December, 2006 09:23  
Blogger Charity said...

LOVE all the finished gifts! How special and loved your family must feel! :0)

So nice to hear of the lovely family time you all had - blessings for a happy and fulfilling new year! :0)

26 December, 2006 10:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful knits there Marianne.Pecan-pie is wonderful .Sounds like you had a great time with a lovely family.

26 December, 2006 12:15  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

You did knit a lot, Marianne! I am currently knitting 'Branching Out' scarf by Susan of I'm Knitting As Fast I Can from the beautiful blue cashmere you gifted to me. Our family from OK are here and it is great to be under the same roof! Happy Holidays to you and yours!

26 December, 2006 12:41  
Blogger John Hedtke said...

I finally grabbed a moment to look at the blog--it's wonderful! And I particularly like the merino gift. I share your feelings about merino wool.

I'm spending the day relaxing and working on putting some papers away in the office. I've a ton of work to do in the next four-five days, but today I shall be quiet. :)

BTW, I think I'm going to post that song I sent you on my blog at last. Something's gotta be done and mockery is as good a weapon as anything.

27 December, 2006 20:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home