Monday, November 20, 2006

Whoops


It seems like it's been a long week around here, and although this week is known as a 'short' week, it won't be for me. I host Thanksgiving dinner, which means all kinds of tidying up around the 'clubhouse' (think more old school Mickey Mouse, not the posh Country Club,USA), baking, cooking, setting up, then the actual dinner, then it's on to the cleaning up and putting everything back in it's original spot.....a long week.

First up.....let's hear it for the ooohs and aaaahhhs....I received this in my post on Saturday from Celtic Jo, that on the forward left is some of the silk/cashmere, and of course the photo doesn't do the colour justice, at all, on the back right is a 'purl cotton' in a lovely cream, THANK YOU JO! There's a portion of my brain dedicated to the sole purpose of thinking of projects for these lovely yarns.

A bit of colour, not nearly the blooms but what a trooper, eh?

Some socks I'm working on, a lovely simple pattern, Thuja, from Knitty, first saw some at Kate's, and I really like the pattern. And yes, as you can see, it's that old cheat...2 strands, US 3 dpns, but hey, they're part of the holiday knitting and due to the fact there's lots of it....

And to show you just how insane I might be right now....Shedir....this is the whoops. I've looked at this pattern many many times, I just love it, it's soooo pretty. Brooklyntweed knit one up in a beautiful brown that I drooled over quite a bit, again, I always keep a bit of a towel close by when cruising the knitting blogs...

What prompted the knitting of this cap? A friend of a friend of my Mother's.....has recently been diagnosed with cancer, I don't know the particulars.....I do know her first name, Betty, anyway, someone had asked her if she was going to wear a wig...absolutely not....well, that did it, I printed off the pattern, trotted myself off to the lys and picked up a ball of the Rowan Calmer and started in. It's a bit fiddly. But of course, I kept after it...hmmm, first one little mistake, oh, it's close to the bottom and back...then another little mistake...crap....but then around round 40something a big mistake...double/triple crap...frogged it back, all the way, started completely over. I'm not that crazy about the yarn, it's a cotton 75, acrylic microfibre 25, and for that there's still not much 'give', but that said, I am finding the start-over going lots smoother, and have reached round 28, some of those rounds are incredibly fiddly, and seem to take forever.....also, right before I started over I made myself a little treat....I've made several stitch markers and given them away as gifts, so I sat down and made myself one, I love it, because the knitting, it seems to go on for so long, 144 stitches per round, but when I see that little pretty coming up....it's silly I know, but I actually get a bit of a thrill.....yes, it's silly, but that's alright.

Seems like there was more I was wanting to write about but already, the week's chores are crowding the mind and I must get on with them.

To all who are celebrating Thanksgiving this thursday......Happy Thanksgiving!.....

And to all, Happy Knitting and continue to make good time.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems we have our own private shedir knitalong going on! Perhaps we should make us a button!I had got past rnd 28 when I spotted a problem in the first cable row where I had crossed it the wrong way, so I frogged back, have managed to get back to about round 25, yes it is fiddly, but it is nice to see that pattern coming along!

20 November, 2006 11:41  
Blogger Charity said...

Yay, new yarn! What treasures Jo sent you! :0)

20 November, 2006 11:46  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Hope you're able to find time to sit, knit and still enjoy the entire process of the Thanksgiving feast. And, delegate some of those responsibilities!

20 November, 2006 12:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

."A very Happy Thanksgiving "to all Americans for Thursday. That Geranium is a trooper .In fact Jeff says they are the only flower I don't kill but they are survivors. Better luck with that hat.I find Calmer rather odd ,it stretches out of shape and splits badly on the needles.

21 November, 2006 01:38  
Blogger Dana said...

Your flowers are lovely, as is the knitting. Yes, I "oooh'ed & ahhh'ed" over that fabulous yarn in the photo.

You're going to laugh - - I have 9.5 inch feet too (and I looked like the village idiot when I took out the ruler and measured them in the office). Have a wonderful clubhouse Thanksgiving! :) Dana

21 November, 2006 08:21  
Blogger Dana said...

Hello again,
The squirrel dishcloth is at dishclothcorner.blogspot.com and the other patterns are at dishclothboutique.com. There are some really cute patterns out there, e.g. apples, pears, log cabins et al. Have fun!

21 November, 2006 10:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your flowers against the shingles of your (house?) They match perfectly!
I have to commiserate on fixing complicated cable patterns. I have a sock pattern I'm working on and the first sock got ripped back so many times my eyes were crossing with the cables. Seems like once you've done that enough times you can sort of figure out the pattern by heart and the problems cease. GOOD LUCK! And happy Thanksgiving!

21 November, 2006 13:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there! no special thanks to the EVER so LOVELY daughter that is going to come over and help out... not to mention that she made a "Dad's Pecan Pie"?!?!?! i know the pie is easy... but come on I deserve some sweet thanks for being in the kitchen with you!

22 November, 2006 17:56  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Darlin', the Shedir is coming along beautifully. I feel certain that it's worked out all of it's rebelliousness and will behave itself now. And the socks are just yummy....

24 November, 2006 10:34  
Blogger Dharma said...

It's good to knit hats for those going through chemo. I made my mother, um, 4? hats, and a scarf last winter to don on her balding head. A friend made coronet from knitty.com in I think calmer. Then she made shedir for another person we knew who started chemo just after my mother.

30 November, 2006 01:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home