Monday, October 02, 2006

Do you like dates?

I love dates, you know, the kind you can eat? When I was a kid a favourite goodie was a date square, so much goodness for the senses. We had just a teaser of cooler weather a few days ago and I decided to make some. Since then the weather has once again gotten warm, and people, I'm talking quite warm, it's supposed to be in the 90's this week, the 90's, with full sun.

Anyway, I did take photos and thought I'd share the recipe, there's two versions here, the original and the version I make which is just a tad healthier, easier on the system.

I also had my own personal helper that day.....she's really good at this mixing, and baking, or as she likes to say " whip up something good to eat".



What you'll need....a 13x9 baking dish, lightly sprayed with canola....or butter it up.



For the filling:

I get two bags of dates...DO NOT get the kind that are already chopped, please, just trust me on this one, bite the bullet and chop them up yourself, IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
1 cup (8 oz ) water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the crust:

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 unbleached all-purpose flour OR 1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
1 cup brown supar, packed OR 1 cup sucanat or organic brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter,melted OR 12 tablespoon Smart Balance, melted (if you have issues with soy products go with the butter or something else...nonhydrogenated.
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small saucepan combine the chopped dates, water, lemon juice, and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer about 4 minutes until the water is absorbed and it gets thick. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, set this aside to cool while you make the crust.

In a medium sized bowl mix the oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt, then stir in the melted butter (or whatever you decide to use).

Press 2 1/2 cups of the crust mix into your baking dish, smooth it out so there are no gaps, spread the date filling on top of the crust. Add the walnuts to the remaining crust mix and sprinkle it over the filling.

Bake this for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, take them out of the oven and let them cool before cutting.

If you like dates, you're gonna love these.




Would you just look at that little plate? I'm telling you, I am going to be spinning, don't know when, but it IS going to happen.

OK, I just can't resist 'reporting' on the small corner of blogland I visit....so here goes.

Ms. Knitingale's saturday post is so funny I hurt myself with a couple of snorts that exploded out of me, go read.seriously. Then Rabbitch has a new obsession, can you believe it? It may be a wee bit of an obsession for myself. Here's a really silly question, but do you like seeing a man in a kilt? Yeah, well, I do. That lovely, talented crazy.knitting.lady was kind enough to answer a yarn question I asked, she in turn asked the question in her post, she is one very sweet, thoughtful woman! Jo and Richard have been in British Columbia all week, of course, Jo has been on a yarn mission and it's been a real treat to read about and see the photos. Jason has also been up to some great fun with fibre and colours.......yeah, go check it all out.


That's about it for now, and yes, I have been knitting....but shamefully not enough to take photos of and post...

Happy Knitting to All


8 Comments:

Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Sweetheart, you have no IDEA how happy you have made Richard! He adores date bars and now that he's seen your posting, he is pressuring me to make a batch just as soon as we get home on Wednesday. Now look what you've started! Don't s'pose you could mail a packet from your kitchen?
Jo
Celtic Memory Yarns

02 October, 2006 23:45  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Yes, Just look at what you've started! Date bars, even with spelt so I can share them with my gluten intolerant neighbor who is always sharing goodies with others.

We take a trip to Bob's Red Mill a couple times of year (only 40 miles up the road) to stock up on all kinds of delicious grains. That place is so chock full of good stuff that's it's hard to stick to the list and not go deep in debt.

04 October, 2006 12:16  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Mmmmm......date bars......I'm with Jo on this one. I think little sample packs to all your fans in blogland :-)
That Graciegirl is just the cutest thing going. With a helper like that, no wonder the cookies look so good!

04 October, 2006 19:45  
Blogger Glenna C said...

Hi Marianne! Just wanted to drop in and say hi and thanks for the blog comments this week. I can't wait to keep knitting this weekend.

Date bars, eh? I've never tried those, I'll make a note of your recipe!

07 October, 2006 10:14  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

In Canada, we also call the squares Matrimonial Cake - my DH's favourite. This note is written on Monday and today my son is running in a marathon in your city with Dean Karnazes. If he goes by your house, wave for his Momma. He is the 6'4" guy with the short/short hair!
Oh yes, you can substitute mincemeat for the date filling and use the same base and top!

09 October, 2006 09:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peg,
Life is a fun, curious 'thing'...I was just at your blog and wanting to leave a comment and just don't know how.
Forgive me, your Tilia is beautiful, and can hardly wait for her to graduate 'finishing school', I know she'll have splendid marks.
er...didn't even know we were having a marathon today...
I like that...Matrimonial Cake, in fact, I love that...and the mincemeat does sound delicious! Thank you!
I'm very happy to see you drop by, I go to your site often....

09 October, 2006 09:59  
Blogger Marianne said...

just trying something out

09 October, 2006 10:01  
Blogger picperfic said...

erm....I really should be going to bed but before i go, I will just copy down that date slice recipe..night M

10 February, 2007 16:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home