Monday, September 25, 2006

The Challenge....otherwise known as the thrown gauntlet.

A couple of posts ago I made mention of the universe throwing down a bit of a gauntlet, and that I had indeed picked it up.....this has to do with 'lucky bags' and this is what my lucky bag friend wrote to me:

"What do I like? A tiny skein of something weird, that someone has dyed-preferably variegated and done at home with much swearing and exasperation. I'd love that!"

Having never dyed wool.....I figured I would have the 'much swearing and exasperation' covered, and also the 'weird', and certainly 'done at home'. So off to the yarn pantry I toddled and found 2 skeins of Knit Picks 'Color your Own', merino wool, that I had picked up several months ago, aha! Now to the dyeing ingredients.....I checked it out on the internet and finallly decided that the Koolaide route was the way I was going to go with this...so off to the market, where I felt compelled to let the clerk know that I was going to be dyeing wool and not drinking this stuff.....and back home again.

Now to get ready and let the fun begin.....
Here it is in the dye bath.



Here it is hanging outside for photo op.







All nice and dry, I like it.
So....what do you think? Does it meet all the criteria? ok, it's not 'tiny' but the yarn is fingering weight, that's nearly tiny...I think that should count. She did say she's liking the brighter colours right now.....

This is the other skein I dyed, I mixed a few of the colours, wanting to get more muted shades, and I believe I did achieve that, this one I'll keep.







Cakes! I am so utterly charmed with my swift and ballwinder. The love affair just never ends, does it?




Here's something else I got to playing around with...stitch markers....pesky things won't be still long enough for a good photo (as if Blogger will want to upload anyway) and quite honestly making these .....there was more than enough swearing and exasperation.

Not wanting to test my luck with the Blogger's powers that be......

Happy knitting to all and cheers for the Sock Warriors!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate A. said...

The yarn is gorgeous! Who knew kool-aid could do this? May it always thus be used, for good and not evil. :-)

25 September, 2006 18:19  
Blogger Emma said...

Wow, the hand-dyes look amazing. Great job, and it's so much fun, isn't it?

26 September, 2006 08:48  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Oh, so pretty!!! Now I'm dying (no pun intended) to see how they knit up. And I had no idea you made stitch markers. My friend, you are full of lovely surprises.

26 September, 2006 09:24  
Blogger Sanders said...

wonderful dying!!! turned out beautiful.

love the stitchmarkers too!

26 September, 2006 20:42  
Blogger picperfic said...

you made some special yarns there Marianne, love the (quieter)colours of the ones you were keeping but the birhgter is such fun. Doesn't it just smell so nice when you are working with it after you have dyed it with KoolAid? I am itching to get some bare wool to play with!

10 February, 2007 16:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home