Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Sweet Wee Lass

A couple of days ago a wee beastie came a calling, she just showed up on my front porch, I said "Hello", she jumped up in my lap and immediately made herself comfortable. We had a lovely visit, although, she is a bit mouthy, had all sorts of stories to tell me, I sat there completely smitten and listened. Well, I had seen her before, across the street for a few days but she's been hanging out on our front porch mostly.



The neighbor lady noticed....she came over with the lass, and asked me, "Is this your cat?", to which I replied, "Well, no, I figured it was your cat" She then told me the kitty showed up over there, that she can't have it living in their house, that she would be an outside cat, but she had taken her in for 'tidying up' (my words) so she won't have to fret over having kittens, and was getting her shots in order, which I thought was highly commendable of the woman, (we've not had the best of neighborly relations with her and her husband and not a tale to be told here at all)(trust me on that one) and I did let her know how I felt about it all, that what she did was a good thing, and it IS.

The woman and I chatted for a bit, she doesn't mind at all that 'Dakota' comes over and visits with me, nice of her don't you think? Her husband even went so far as building a box of a shelter except...the weather is not that bad, not really what you'd call cold, but he had put a blinding light bulb in the house, I told her 'Dakota' would not want to go in...although I understood why he did it I explained to her the differences of a cat's eye to say...a puppy's eyes (which is all the experience he's had) and she nodded her head as if she understood, which I guess she did because the light came out.

Anyway, yesterday morning Gracie and I went to the front porch to visit with kitty, which, by the way, I cannot bring myself to call her Dakota, I've been playing around with names and up until today none of them had felt right. Today though, she and I were cuddling and it hit me, Sam. That said, as I was saying Gracie and I went to visit with Sam and I was showing her the blankies I had put out for her to nestle in and whoa! well, look there, a dead....people, this was too big to be a mouse..so I'm going with a smallish young rat, so while Sam was occupied with Gracie and Aardron on the other side of the house I disposed of dead rodent...and all was well. I must say, we were all quite impressed with the wee huntress.

I did manage to get some photos of her this morning. She's really quite young, I'm saying maybe 6 months old and it was hard to get her to be still for just a moment, but I did my best.



The flash has been going off on most of these shots, here's one where it didn't and this is really more what her colours look like. (oh, and don't you just love the composition on this photo? ack!)



In the meantime she has discovered the tool shed in the back yard and found it to be satisfactory for getting away from all the racket of people working on the house next door, and it will be a dandy spot for her when it rains, I've even pulled out the old kitty bed, washed it up and put it out there in a nice sheltered area, she snuggled up in it immediately.


I know, she 'belongs' to the people across the street, but I also know this, she and I? We've got this 'thing' and we both know it.


Howdy Sam!





I have been knitting, holiday knitting, I'd have photos but really, it's a bit of a dark, gloomy day and I don't care much for the photos when the flash goes off. You'll see some knitting soon......

10 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

What a cutie pie! How lovely that you have such a snuggly visitor, and I agree it is very commendable of your neighbour to have taken care of her at the vet's.

18 October, 2006 14:56  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

What a precious little lass she is....those eyes. I swear, that last picture just touched my heart. Give her an extra smooch from me....

18 October, 2006 23:33  
Blogger Kit said...

It's funny how some creatures will just form a bond. It seems that Sam has adopted you. Aren't you just lucky!?

19 October, 2006 09:07  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I agree it is nice that your neighbour looked after her, but my instinct tells me that Sam was searching for the right home and found it with you. And it also sounds like she's had a bad time in babyhood. Go with it, let her take her time. She'll do the deciding (cats always do).
And give her a cuddle from me.
Jo
Celtic Memory Yarns

20 October, 2006 04:59  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

I'm not a cat person, but she is a little beauty. She will do fine in a nice bed in the shed in your climate! She is a lucky little cat - working both sides of the street!

20 October, 2006 11:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is lovely ,she looks like a tortie in the pictures. I had one as a child ,very loving and very smart.

21 October, 2006 03:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

better watch out, she looks like an ear sucker.

22 October, 2006 20:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pointed that out to Aardron the other day.
I don't think she is, though.
You're so funny honey.

22 October, 2006 20:49  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

would you like a copy of yarn forward Marianne ? I'd be glad to send you one
amber

23 October, 2006 10:11  
Blogger The Quiltarian said...

I love little Sam. She looks just like my 2 tortie cats, Atticus and Boo.
I think you can share her with your neighbor, just fine.

23 October, 2006 16:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home