Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy Birthday, Havala

My Daughter, Havala, is 30 years old today. She's my baby. I found it a bit odd feeling when my firstborn turned 30, nearly 5 years ago, then when secondborn turned 30....well, there was that odd feeling again.....but for my baby to turn 30? Odd doesn't even begin to describe what I'm feeling.....but hey, am I happy to celebrate her life? You can bet your whole stash I am!
Pretty, eh?


I think she's absolutely lovely, always has been and of course, always will be to me. She's bright, smart, sensitive, funny....she reduces me to tears and gasping for breath from laughing at things she's said or done.

If you don't know, I have 2 sons, and believe me, I love them dearly, I love them to no end...(and when it's their birthdays I'll write about them, but for now, it's Havala's day).....when I found myself pregnant (sounds rather odd, eh? 'found'? had I somehow 'lost' myself un-pregnant??) for the third time....with two sons....oh, how I wanted a daughter! The doc kept telling me she was a boy, size, heart rate, all that....I kept saying 'she', that doc was plenty surprised.....I was ecstatic.

I breastfed her for 2 years (too much information?) and when she started eating food, her favourite meal was steamed broccoli, apricots, and yogurt.
She was not so much a morning person. She didn't stay in a crib very long, I had found an antique youth bed that I refinished, it set very low to the floor so she was sleeping in that bed at a year old, in the mornings I'd wake her up, she'd sit on the side of the bed with a scowl on her face, walking by I'd look in on her and she'd tell me "Don't look at me, don't talk to me, leave me alone" which I was very glad to comply with but it always tickled me, she'd eventually go through her clothes and pick out what she wanted to wear for the day, always creative, and when given that little bit of time by herself she would then be the happy little bird that she's been known for.

With two big brothers she was a rough and tumble kind of girl, always adventurous and wanting to have a good time. At the age of 4 she was jumping off HUGE boulders into the lake and swimming (all my father's doing). This is another fun little story and for those of you out there who do not like snakes, stop here, or don't think too much about it, Havala was just sitting up well by herself, I had her out in the garden bed with me, very early spring, getting the beds ready for planting, while digging I found a little nest of garden snakes, they were just babies, and very sleepy, I gently picked them up and put them in Havala's lap so she could play with them, which she did, she was having the best of time and no, she wasn't hurting them at all, didn't try to eat them....I was sitting there just enjoying watching her when my mom drove up, I'm thinking 'uh oh', she walks up to where we are and screams...she does NOT like snakes, at all, and she couldn't believe I had given HER granddaughter baby snakes to play with. It's a good thing Havala didn't scare easily, what with all the screaming and yelling on my mother's part, nope, she just sat there gleefully playing with the wee beasties, (who were warming and waking up a bit and getting a bit livelier) pretty much oblivious to my mother's distress. I loved it.

I loved watching her expressions, from babyhood on, and found it such a gift to be able to 'read' her so well, I'm thinking it was the female to female connection, but she was always easier to read than the guys.

There's so much more that could be written here, but what with that 'overload' in my head and the ADD (on my part) I'd best leave it for now, you'll most likely hear more about the girl in future posts.

For now, Happy Birthday Baby Girl, and may you have many many more, and thank you, oh you know how much I love you.........


Alright.....about the 'other' birthday contest, I'll leave the guessing open until....let's say...friday this week, the 5th,.....that should give anyone who comes by a chance to leave a guess....then when it's my birthday I'll post, soooooo that's how you're going to find out if you've won or not. I've been having so much fun reading the guesses, and want to thank each and every one of you for playing with me.

On the knitting front, there's really not much news, working out a pattern for some argyle socks for DH, he's all happy about this, getting more socks....I'm working on a little bitty project, can't say, not sure how it's working out anyway,... I'm waiting to hear from a couple of family people...feet measurements, will also be hauling out the stash some day next week....hoping to be dyeing some yarn today.....we'll see how it goes.
Seems to me 'odd' was the word of the day....heh. What's with that?

OK....FSF Jo, another weird thing.......I had blue eyes up until age 6, then they turned green.


Happy Knitting to All and continue to make good time.

11 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Happy Birthday, Havala! So, it's true, eh? They really won't stop growing up? It's hard for me to imagine my babies being so big and grown up, and I know I'm going to turn around tomorrow and we'll be there! Off to give them a cuddle, now. :0)

03 January, 2007 10:47  
Blogger Joanna said...

Fantastic post, really made me giggle at the end too! Lovely photo of Havala, really beautiful.

03 January, 2007 11:05  
Blogger Dianne said...

Happy Birthday Havala..a beautiful lady indeed!! I love the snake story..sounds like something my "MOTH" would do to MIL...and love every minute of it~..I will forward the recipe on to you in a day or so Marianne..Happy Knitting~~

03 January, 2007 11:11  
Blogger Faren said...

Happy Birthday, Havala. Love the name by the way. I'm going to guess your birthday is the 14th, since that is both my mom's and my SIL's birthday.
Have a good one anyway!

03 January, 2007 11:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous name to go with a gorgeous girl.Holly ,Jeff and I wish her every happiness. To think Holly being 17 has freaked me out. I so wanted a girl and as I was 35 I thought I might never have another so I understand your wanting one.I was lucky cos she is such a friend .I can only now imagine having a boy too and hope Holly has both.

03 January, 2007 13:17  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Happy Birthday, Havala! Happy birth day to you, Marianne! How do we young women get these older children? I find my DD much easier to read than my DS. My children woke up in the morning bright and sunny, but when they awoke from the afternoon nap, it was best to hold them, say nothing and in about 15 minutes, they wanted some juice or milk and then they were bright and sunny again!

03 January, 2007 16:54  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Happy Birthday Dear Havala....Happy Birthday to you!!! She's just so darned pretty. You two hug each other for me. Love the snake story...I think my mother would faint dead away!

03 January, 2007 18:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Havala!

I really enjoyed reading about your daughter. And yes, she is beautiful! Sounds like she is a very lucky and very loved girl (woman).

03 January, 2007 19:23  
Blogger Dharma said...

I'm going to guess 19th. Beautiful daughter you have there.

05 January, 2007 00:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me!

06 January, 2007 18:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for the lovely birthday wishes ladies... it was simply sweet.

havala

08 January, 2007 21:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home