Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Rambling on.......

FAIR WARNING: See up there under the title, where it reads that....I'll ramble on about life, love, etc.? yeah, today I'm rambling, rambling big time, so, if you're looking for exciting knits, or even clear precise blogging you can excuse yourself, I won't mind, I realize there are 'greener pastures' out in Knitbloglandia....today I ramble.


Yesterday was Bobby's and my official wedding anniversary, we have a history that spans around 36 years, but we've only been 'officially' married for 3. The exact date.....get this, I think he had it 'planned', 1-23-04.....yep, easy. He claims he didn't plan it that way, ok, I'll believe him. What we had planned for the evening was dinner out, this seems to be very important to him, going out to dinner on special occasions, mostly so I don't 'have' to cook, this is how he thinks and I've gotta tell you, I appreciate his thinking on this more, way more than I could ever express with words.

The thing is....he was a bit late in getting home, not that I'm the sort to just be 'waiting' for dear husband to get home....I had gotten settled in late afternoon with some knitting and you know how it is, I'm just not one to be watching the clock. So he comes in and there's rustling going on....I get up to greet him and he has packages.....

I would like to take a few minutes here, let you in on what we do and don't do, between Bobby and I. He doesn't gift me for the holidays (except, I know, that wonderful trip to Kansas, but he didn't consider that a 'gift' per se) and he may or may not for my birthday (but I promise I don't have to cook, unless I really want to) and he may or may not on our anniversary...and I'm more than ok with all that. Seriously. He ALWAYS remembers to wish me happy birthday, happy anniversary the minute he wakes up........(Christmas really doesn't mean that much between us, same with Valentine's day).
He has always been very clear to me on just how much he loves me. Now, it's not beyond me to go out and gather goodies for us for whatever occasion, you know, the day 'after' Valentine's day when the chocolates are half price? Yep, we score big time.
We also live fairly simply, (that sounded odd/off but really, it's a fairly simple life we have here) we don't have tons of.....well, I was going to say stuff, but really there seems to be plenty of stuff, hmmmmm, ok, did you notice the couch that had the stash on it? That's just an old, very old couch, and no, it's not the most comfortable, it's also not nearly as funky as it could be considering its age...but we won't replace it anytime soon....grandchildren for one reason...and it's alright, we're just not that much into 'image' and 'consumerism' and needing a home that looks like it came right off some magazine's page. Our tastes run more 'Arts and Crafts' style, but sheesh, the prices! That's also not to say that someday we won't bite the proverbial bullet and buy a few pieces....but never mind. You get the idea. We just don't spend lots of money. That said. Yeah, I'll get back to the story at hand.

I see the packages and comment that he's been out shopping (I'm feeling just a tiny bit of shock) and he says 'yep, I got us some goodies'....then I'm saying, 'but...I didn't....' and he says, 'no, that's ok, I got us our goodies'........ok, this makes perfect sense to me.....there's 2 boxes of chocolates, one with truffles (he loves truffles) and another box with all.dark.chocolate. at this point I'm swooning. but. there's more........a bag from Restoration Hardware (honestly, I'm just picturing him shopping...2 different stores?) with a big jar of "No-Crack Super hand cream, cucumber mint" because he HAS noticed that cold wintery weather takes a nasty toll on my hands. At this point I'm swooning even more than before, but wait.....there's one more bag.......


This just nearly sent me into a dead faint. He went to one of the yarn shops in town......those 3 skeins? Lobster Pot cashmere. He immediately starts telling me about the yarn and asking if I liked the colours, that he really didn't know 'what' to get me but that I should consider this as a 'gift certificate', see, while he was at the yarn shop looking around and of course someone was there 'helping' him, they suggested he just purchase a gift certificate, he doesn't think very highly of gift certificates ("I don't want no stinkin' gift certificate") and he looks at her and says "This will be her gift certificate, if there's something here she doesn't want then she can bring it back in and trade it out for something else, right?" "Well, of course she can." "Well, this makes for a really pretty gift certificate then, doesn't it" The man does like 'presentation'.

So.........more rambling if you please......of course, I love the cashmere, and I'll keep one, but....I just keep thinking there should be something extra special for Bobby in this....and they do carry the American Buffalo yarn, and there would be enough on the trade to get some..but..he doesn't wear hats, or scarves, or gloves (actually if it gets that cold he has these gloves, more like ski gloves that he'll wear...if he has to) and he doesn't wear sweaters much,(not that THAT was going to happen with buffalo) he has a cotton sweater he'll wear maybe once a year,.....that pretty much whacks the 'list' down to.....socks. Holy Crapola. remember that? But this is a very special occasion, right? So, maybe bedsocks, wear around the house socks. And really for me, I'd get to experience the fibre, right? I mean, come on, he bought me yarn.

The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur....I think I told him about the most recent episode of Grey's Anatomy which I had finally gotten around to watching that afternoon....George's dad died, I cried, Christina was sorry he was now a member of the Dead Dad Club, I'm also a member of that club....but like Bobby could've really cared...heh. Dinner was good. Life is good.

So, today? I'm busy baking Bobby's bread (just try saying that really fast 5 times), and loving every minute of it.

This morning I had to run out and get some yeast for the bread baking and I got these for Bobby, put them in his room (yes, he has a room he pretty much calls all his own), he won't be able to miss them when he sits down to his pc. Tried to get bright colourful blooms, he likes that.

The card......artwork by Michael Parkes 'Water Music' 1982, the original is oil painting on wood, 60x50cm

I'll think about the yarn today, and tomorrow, then Friday I'll head to that shop, hopefully with a clear plan in mind.


Happy Knitting to All and continue to make good time.

21 Comments:

Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Sweet! What a MAN! UmUm, that man does know the key to a woman's heart.

The flowers are beautiful. Thirty-six more years of happiness to both of you.

(It took three attempts before a crazy word even appeared for verification, and then it wanted my google signin. Four tries - I'm that stubborn.)

24 January, 2007 14:49  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

Happy anniversary, it sounds like you had a wonderful evening and what could mean more than that?

24 January, 2007 15:12  
Blogger Dianne said...

Wow!!What a wonderful man!! One that will go into 'LYS'..and purchase..cashmere even~SWOON I would..and a man that buys 2 chocolates..your's and his favorites..a definite keeper~~The flowers are SO beautiful!! Happy Anniversary Marianne and Bobby~~

24 January, 2007 15:28  
Blogger Hege said...

What a sweet husband! Happy anniversary and happy knitting!

24 January, 2007 16:06  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Oh, such pretty stuff! I'm glad you took a picture of it. Big time swooning over here, too. You guys were meant for each other.
Word verification: btufttem. Try saying THAT three times fast...

24 January, 2007 16:42  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

You know me from Knitnight at the library, I am Amy, the daughter Joyce, of the felted "baglady"

24 January, 2007 19:22  
Blogger Faren said...

Wow, that is so amazing! Glad you had a happy anniversy!

24 January, 2007 21:54  
Blogger picperfic said...

he's a honey! I've got a honey but I had to wait 30 years for mine....that's another story....I love your blog...can I add it to mine? from one Marianne to another....

25 January, 2007 06:06  
Blogger Kelly said...

Ah Marianne, I think you've got a keeper there too! All the best to you both on your anniversary.

Quite the celebratory knid of month in your family, isn't it?!

25 January, 2007 07:03  
Blogger Eric & Tony said...

Happy Anniversary!

25 January, 2007 08:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary ....you and Bobby sound so much like us that I think I could have written your post. LOL

To answer your question on my blog: the huck towels I use are the ones from Charles Craft where you just stitch a small portion in the center.

Thanks for the compliment on the scarf. I love the pattern, the yarn...no so much. It's cheapie stuff and you can SURE feel the difference.

25 January, 2007 08:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, what a great guy you have there (of course he has a great girl too)! Happy Anniversary to the both of you. I think it sounds like the perfect evening.

25 January, 2007 08:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Marianne. How lucky you both are to have each other - you guys are a grown-up fairy tale. And I don't think you can lose on the whole sock concept - has he taken the FI's off yet? Congrats to you from my heart!

25 January, 2007 10:03  
Blogger picperfic said...

I am doing the colorswap2 thingy and so is Rabbitch and i think that's where i found your blog from...but I flit about hither and thither and I have a terrible memory most of the time so I might have found you somewhere else, so glad i did! :^)

25 January, 2007 11:47  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Wow, you got yourself a gorgeous man there:) Glad I'm not the only one who was lucky and I also had to wait many a year and kiss 2 frogs before my prince:)
amber in scotland

25 January, 2007 12:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally making a comment... (I'm slow, y'know. [g]) Happy anniversary to you and Bobby, Marianne! What a wonderful guy - yarn! chocolate for both of you! - oh yeah, you tracked down a good one. Many, many more happy years together!

25 January, 2007 12:38  
Blogger Dana said...

Ramble on any old time you want Marianne. That was a TOUCHING and oh, so romantic blog! When Mohamed and I grow up, we want to be you and Bobby! :)

25 January, 2007 14:50  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations to you both! :-)

What a great relationship you have together, long may it endure.

Gotta go, Burns Night calls...

Judy

25 January, 2007 15:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! You are both very sweet and thoughtful.

25 January, 2007 17:19  
Blogger Joanna said...

wOw Marianne, this makes 20 comments your blog is certainly getting busy!! I couldn't see the yarn photo yesterday so came back to view it and go oooh what lovely colours, and look at you wanting to exchange 2 of them to knit for him, what a super couple you make.
xoxox

26 January, 2007 10:01  
Blogger Charity said...

I'm FINALLY wishing you both a happy anniversary - don't know how I missed this post! :0)

You two remind me of the story about the lady with the long hair who cut it off to buy her husband a watch.... so sweet.

28 January, 2007 12:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home