Friday, August 31, 2007

Good Grief!

Good grief...the 17th of August was my last post? Argh. Two weeks. Two weeks of serious busy.

It all started out innocently enough, day 'one', going over to the old place and cleaning out most of the remaining 'stuff'...sweeping the floors, dusting the blinds, hauling a folding lawn chair around with me and sitting down in each room, making a list of things that needed to be done in each room...that kind of day.
It didn't stay innocent though.

I was informed that the floor guys would be there in 10 days to refinish the floors in the two bedrooms, hallway and living room. Let's all say it together, 'ACK!'. again? ACK! ok.

Granted the master-bedroom just needed the ceiling painted...cool.
The second bedroom needed the ceiling painted, the cove and base trim painted AND the trim around the windows and doors...ok..cool..
Then the closet area outside the second bedroom, that ceiling and cove and base trim as well as around the doors.. ok, cool....
The hallway...ceiling painted, cove and base trim painted as well as both pocket doors and trim AND the walls...is it still 'cool'? (I think not)
The living room. The big 'groaner'...this room has remained fairly original in that the trim is the original and has been painted a million times, at least, and I tried, I really did, but I was running out of time...I sanded the cove and base trim as well as I could, painted the ceiling and all that trim and around the windows AND the walls.

Did I mention that I still had Gracie two of those days? no? So, basically I did all that in 8 days, they were very long days you can be sure but yeah, 8 days. I would have felt like superwoman except I was pretty much exhausted...It really is easier said/written than done, just takes a few minutes....

Then I hit a brick wall. I've spent this past week at home whilst the floor dudes are over there and I'll be taking this weekend as a holiday weekend before I start in again...oh...next Wednesday.

Guess what? all those rooms I just worked on? The base trim all has new quarter-round that needs priming, filling, sanding, and painting. That's a LOT of down on the floor work and I tell you, those floors get hard really quickly...even with the 2 little stacked rugs that I take around with me, you know, as a 'barrier' between my 'mature' bones and that floor.

I've had plenty to do here, what with catching up with cleaning and laundry and...and...oh yeah, that cooking dinner business.

Gracie started school, (you can click on photos and get the 'close-ups)


she's in Pre-K, half days and since the school is less than a mile away I pick her up on my days.

This has been fun. Watching her walk out of the school, they have to line up against a wall and raise their hand when they see whoever is picking them up. The first day I picked her up she walked out and she's looking around but doesn't see me and it hit me...she's looking around but she's not really 'seeing' anything, you know? (she got that from me...) So I sat there and just watched her, it took a good 5 minutes before she actually 'saw' me although she had 'looked' in my direction several times. Heh.

She also got her ears pierced right before school started, her decision and her choice of earrings? They're tiny pale pink sparkley ones...very pretty.


She was kind enough to allow me to take her photo, it was hot that day and she really really wanted to take her shoes off so I got 3 photos snapped quick like. I just love those little black shoes, they're so sturdy!


The dress...I first saw this dress on her when we were in Stillwater and it struck me as a bit odd, and I asked Deidre where it came from....well, she had taken Gracie to a resell shop one afternoon and pretty much let the girl pick some school clothes out, this child chose all retro stuff, seriously. The fabric is a woven affair and very soft. (even on the inside as she informed me)


That day I picked her up and while I was watching her it hit me that the style, which I had thought a bit odd at first, actually suits her perfectly. This is her favourite dress. The colours are lovely on her and watching her move around...well, it really is just perfect. She chose well. How amazing is that? I still can't do 'that'. Perhaps I should take her with me next time I'm forced into shopping for something to wear....

We're having a holiday weekend...Labour Day.

Monday is also Conor's 10th birthday! I can hardly believe he's 10 years old...4th grade in school. They're throwing a big party for him on Saturday, inviting the whole family and all the children (Deidre's side of the family is HUGE) and he knows I love him but I'm just not feeling up to being around that many folks (sure, go ahead, call me a poop-head, I've been called worse) so they're coming over Monday, we'll cook out and have a good time, just more on the quiet side. I'll bake him a cake...I have a castle cake mold which is pretty cool, he's admired it before...and I'm thinking chocolate cake....


Knitting? I'm on square #3 for the Miner's Blanket Project...no photos at the moment..it's Thursday night and it's dark outside...next post and I'll try and post sooner than 2 weeks...but please, no one hold their breath...I'll try.


Happy Knitting to All and continue to make good times.

24 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That Gracie sure is a doll! And her shoes do rock--in fact, I have a pair just like them. I think they may be Danskos...

31 August, 2007 08:13  
Blogger Paula said...

Sometimes blogging has to take a back seat to more pressing things. That's life. You've certainly been busy, and there's still more to do! My knees hurt just thinking about it. I recommend one of those foam rectangles for kneeling on. You can usually get them at the garden store.

31 August, 2007 10:42  
Blogger Kitty Mommy said...

Awwwww...what a big girl...and such a cutie. Bug and Bean concur!

Sounds like busy, busy times chez Marianne. Be sure to find some down time too.

31 August, 2007 11:13  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Marianne - you rest girl. I was tired after reading what you had done in the 8 days.
I love Gracie in her dress. It looks like a little jumper I used to make for my dtr. I had a pattern for a sunsuit/overalls and jumper. The sunsuit and overalls buttoned at the shoulder, but the little jumper just pulled over the head! It was perfect, and I had to make a new pattern every year it seemed, as I pinned it to fabric so many times. In summer without a t-shirt it was cool and in cooler weather with a t-shirt it was perfect.
Gracie has good taste in clothes and I also love the sturdy shoes. I am not big on these versions of 'adult' shoes that are sold. They look uncomfortable and if a girl wants to run, she needs shoes like Gracie is wearing!

31 August, 2007 11:29  
Blogger Charity said...

Wow, Marianne, that was a marathon of work! Whew! I hope you enjoy your weekend, don't let anyone make you feel like you can't just relax and enjoy...

My Katie will be 10 in Nov. It's hard to believe that they're so big already, eh?

Gracie is darling, she looks so sweet all dressed for school. :0)

31 August, 2007 11:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gracie is adorable. Vintage suits her well.

I bet she would enjoy picking out clothing for you.

31 August, 2007 11:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I told Miss Grace that I LOVED her dress when I saw it in Stillwater, and that I wished I had one myself! HA! Oh, your oldest child informed the fella that you were doing Saturday at the house, to which I replied "HA! funny, funny!" I will see you Monday if not before...
Love you!

31 August, 2007 12:26  
Blogger Joanna said...

I've lost track of time too M, we've been doing a bit of work too, I've been stripping walls all afternoon, all the way through reading that post I was thinking it was Thursday= Gracie day, but nope I know now its Friday, doesn't she look a picture, Neo is back at nursery Tuesday, and he'll be going 5 mornings a week, till he starts school next year! Take it easy with the work xoxox

31 August, 2007 13:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aha !...a small adorable vintage fan ( good taste that Gracie you look lovely !). A big "Happy Birthday to Connor" x . keep off those poor knees for a bit Marianne .Have a good Labour Day ( Bush hasn't banned it ? It sounds like ahem..."May Day" which we have but goes back ages and isn't like the old Soviet "May Day" . It's a particularly poignant one thinking of the miners . My prayers for all workers especially those in dangerous work.

31 August, 2007 13:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So agree with Peg about the shoes. I hate seeing children in high shoes, platforms or even clogs .They want support still and to run free. I adored Holly's "Startrites" they were all Mary-Jane types and looked perfect and were fitted as she has narrow ankles and needed support at the back .I pretty much wear shoes like that myself. Holly now wants heels that is until she has to walk far !!

31 August, 2007 13:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap, Marianne; you must be exhausted! I'm exhausted just reading this post. I HATE painting, and painting down low - the pits!!

Gracie is an absolute doll! How's she like school?

You're not a poop head; you're just pooped :-) I'm sure Conor will enjoy having a cookout with a castle cake with you.

31 August, 2007 14:51  
Blogger Emma said...

We missed you at Knit Nite, but I can certainly understand your absence. Didja hear Loops is starting a Sock Club?

31 August, 2007 16:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, dahling! You were so missed. Have to agree with you on the Gracie shoes. Sturdy, fashionable in that definitely retro way. That kid is happening!
Go rest.

31 August, 2007 17:04  
Blogger Nikki said...

Oh my Gracie is just the cutest! And a happy Birthday to Connor!

and you certainly deserve a rest! Shew, made me tired :)

31 August, 2007 17:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, much better to rest and relax than be around a bunch of people when you're whacked. Sheesh, you've been killing yourself, you deserve some unlaxing. Besides, I'm sure Conor will appreciate two birthday celebrations! [g]

Gracie - totally rad, the sweetie. She looks great. I second (or third, whatever) the notion of you taking her along next time you shop for yourself. Not only for the style, but I'll bet she'd get a real kick out of dressing you!

Now for ghu's sake, siddown and knit, hon. Even dynamos need some rest. ;)

31 August, 2007 22:06  
Blogger Eric & Tony said...

Wowzer you are a busy lady!

That little dress is sooo sweet.

01 September, 2007 10:32  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

You have had more than enough on your plate, haven't you? Not only the stress of the house, but Gracie starting school too.

I second all those who say you need some downtime to yourself, away from it all. Easier said than done, though, I know!

01 September, 2007 10:33  
Blogger Robin said...

Gracie is so cute! You sound busy...I'm allergic to housework!!

01 September, 2007 14:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gracie is beautiful! I loved finding dresses like that when my girls were small. Don't worry about the blogging thing, some times life just gets in the way. Happy Birthday to Conor. I know what you mean, my eldest is now (brace yourself) 13!

01 September, 2007 15:35  
Blogger nonizamboni said...

Thanks for sharing about your Connor and Gracie (adorable photos!) The work you've been doing is making me a little tired. . .I probably should go nap now. Take good care of yourself and enjoy the party!!
xoxo

01 September, 2007 16:33  
Blogger picperfic said...

ok so it's two weeks but this post was well worth the wait...

You work so hard M, you must be proud of yourself! I know from simply seeing your home that yuo are a perfectionist and no doubt this new home is going to be rather psecial with all your finshing touches. I love it the Gracie chose that pretty dress, she does have great taste! I also love those sturdy shoes, all mine wore sturdy shoes to school, I just love those girls shoes with the strap over and a buckle!

Happy Birthday Connor....I know about not wanting to be part of a big group, he'll be very busy at his party anyway, you'll not see him but I guess everyone else will miss you...xxxx

02 September, 2007 03:50  
Blogger Dianne said...

Happy Birthday Conor..hugs and kisses..and Gracie..you're just a fashion statement..but Marianne..you do need to remember..you.are.human..
t.a.k.e.a.b.r.e.a.k~Love you my dear..go easy on your body!

02 September, 2007 15:08  
Blogger Dana said...

Oh my gosh - - you put a whole new perspective on "I've been busy lately." Do take care of yourself whilst you're completing all of these tasks.

Gracie looks phenomenal in her photos. Love the dress & shoes (she's got great taste!). Happy Birthday to Connor and I hope he enjoyed both of his birthday fetes. XOXOX

04 September, 2007 08:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a busy transition time for you, no chance to catch your breath!

I love the second picture of Gracie.

06 September, 2007 21:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home