Saturday, May 05, 2007

Days flying by...

Another week has flown by...where did all those days go? I know I've been busy with quite a number of things but.....wasn't it just a couple of days ago it was Monday? No?

What I've accomplished in the knitting department, # 3,4, and 5 Magic 28 socks.



The red and green yarn is Lamb's Pride, worsted. That pink? Yummy.



Peace Fleece Lauren's Coral, worsted. I am no longer a Peace Fleece virgin. I love this yarn...so much that if I had a closet to call my very own I would fill it up with Peace Fleece. No kidding, this is wonderful stuff, the bloom alone is worth the price of admission.

So, I've knit five hats, and five pair of socks for Dulaan so far, I have another green pair on the needles and 2 other socks waiting for their mates.

Check these out. (you can click for larger view)



You'll never guess what those white things are...never, ever. Seriously. My father loved going fishing, he tried his very best to go fishing everyday....weather permitting....he'd bring a few home, clean and cook them up. I don't remember the particular fish....but it had that white thing in its head....it's a calcium deposit, hard but very light weight. Dad would collect these things out of the fish, wash them and place them in a little saucer dish. They were in that dish for years and they've not discoloured at all. My Mom gave some to a friend of hers, and she made earrings, how clever is she? They're perfect for me, light weight and simple. I've worn them all afternoon with no problems.

I started the day off going to the farmer's market, sadly, the Llama Lady wasn't there. A band was playing some very cheerful Irish music with a lady singing, they were quite good. I picked up more fresh spinach and a big bag of fresh greens. Poked about checking all the vendors' wares, they're a cheerful lot I'll say that.

Then, because it's been rainy here all week, I tackled the yards, ours and Mom's and was home just a bit before noon. Pretty good, eh?

With thoughts of my Dad, I've taken a few photos of some of his very favourite flowers.






I'm ready for the knitting chair and getting back with the little green socks.

Happy Knitting to all and continue to make good time.

21 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

Lovely socks, marianne! I am a peace fleece 'virgin', too, but not for lack of looking...I love the heathery colours and I am sure it will only be a matter of time before I order up a whole whack of it ;) Do you think it would make good cables?

05 May, 2007 20:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo of Lily of the Valley. That was one of my favorite spring flowers when I lived up north.

Boy, I miss spring flowers!

05 May, 2007 21:44  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Our lily of the valley and aquilegia (or Grannies Bonnets) are out too. The lily of the valley scent is so beautiful I couldn't stop stooping down to sniff, so I have a little vase of them on my desk now which is easier.

Love the wild yellow heels on those green socks!

06 May, 2007 07:19  
Blogger Robin said...

Your flowers are just as beautiful!! I LOVE Lily of the Valley, the're all over my garden.
Cute socks!!!

06 May, 2007 08:04  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

I love the earrings. What a neat thing to have, a little tribute that you can wear anytime you feel like it.

06 May, 2007 09:47  
Blogger Kitty Mommy said...

I just love Lily of the Valley. Smells so wonderful and my Grandma had some growing behind her house, so it always makes me think of her.

06 May, 2007 12:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely memento of your dad .I love the Lily of the Valley photo too. They have such a perfect fragrance . Holly and I were admiring the Foris perfume Friday , it's a very "true" capture.

06 May, 2007 12:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh what beautiful flowers dear and How delicate! You must pop by one bright day for a spot of tea.

06 May, 2007 13:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly Nito, obviously we'll give you more than a "spot" of tea we'll give you a whole cup.

06 May, 2007 13:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to make some magic 28 socks and a few other things before the July deadline - I love your little socks....and your earrings are so pretty and special!

06 May, 2007 17:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty socks, pretty flowers, pretty earbobs. What a nice week even if it did rain. I loved the little bows on the sox. Makes me smile!!!

06 May, 2007 18:42  
Blogger Kelly said...

Lovely socks, Marianne. I love the bright colours.

The earring are cute. In Newfoundland, local artisans make jewellery out of what they call "cod's ears", which are basically the same kind of calcium deposit from a cod fish. They are slightly different in shape though, kind of wrinkly!

06 May, 2007 19:53  
Blogger knottykitty said...

The story about what the earrings are made of is one of the most interesting things I've seen for a while! The earrings are cute. Lovely flower shots, too! :)
I've never knit the Peace Fleece before--just started hearing it mentioned recently.

06 May, 2007 23:30  
Blogger picperfic said...

where does the time go? Is it Monday again already...I shall have to find a new image of the week! lol
Your darling socks, they are all so perfectly made and I love the way you keep them together with the little bows at the toe. I am so glad you have given your approval to that wonderful peace fleece, it is top of my list for making that wonderful cable hoodie pattern. Did it feel good to knit with or did it soften up after washing?

I love those earings, how clever of your Mum to have a friend to make up the earings for you, I can't beleive how parallel our lives are. My Dad was anavid fisherman although he prefered fly fishing. When he died, my Mum gave my sister boxes of the most beautiful flies that he had tied himself, I can see him doing it now. He used coloured feathers and different coloured silk threads and then there was the delicious smelling 'dope' (glue) that he used to fix them. Ahhh...thanks for the memory jerker....my sister was meant to be puting some of those flies into a box frame for each of us, never happened! lol

I can see you now, having an old nosey around the market, there is a big market on today as it's a bank holiday but its drizzling with rain...we'll see how the day goes.

07 May, 2007 02:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute little socks, Marianne, and oh, love those flower pictures! The earrings are great; what a cool idea.

(Worst is over, whee. I s/be back soon, thanks for good wishes!)

07 May, 2007 07:19  
Blogger Dana said...

Peace Fleece...I'll remember the name and give it a try sometime soon. Your Dulaan socks are wonderful (Dianne recently gave me the pattern) and your earrings are a great momento of your father. Happy knitting!

07 May, 2007 07:59  
Blogger Joanna said...

Look at all these lovely comments M, and so much in this one post its difficult to know where to start, lovely socks for the Dulaan box, lovely yarn, pretty flowers, did I miss anything out? all my love xxx

07 May, 2007 09:03  
Blogger Joanna said...

and how could I forget, those lovely simple but pretty earrings!

07 May, 2007 12:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great little socks! Such cheerful colors.

Those earrings are gorgeous - you'd never know they came out of a fish head :) Seriously, they are lovely and a wonderful way to keep your father close

07 May, 2007 12:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - oh man... Came back and checked for further comments, 'cause I do that, y'know, and had a belated musical flashback:

"Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads..."

This is an evil thing to incite in a sick woman's head!

08 May, 2007 00:57  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great work over at the sock factory!

08 May, 2007 13:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home