Saturday, April 28, 2007

Saturday Morning...

I really should get out more on Saturday mornings because I just got back from the Farmer's Market on Cherry Street and although I was there for under an hour I had a great time.
A truly lovely morning, the sun is shining, the trees are nearly fully leafed out, flowers are blooming, the grass is very green and it was 66F, so yeah, very pretty.

I have to admit I've not been to the Market in a couple of years but it came up at Knit-night, seems there's a lady from Chelsea, OK, Lisa, raises Llamas and brings in fibre. Some of it hand-spun, some mill-spun, some in roving and some of it just cleaned and carded and yowza, this stuff is soft. She also had some handknit hats, very soft, very nice, very simple and selling them for 40 bucks. She has a website, Country Garden Farm. By the way, she's a really nice lady. Of course I found her and her fibre and yarn!

Lots and lots of goods at the Market, flower plants, herbs, vegetable plants....I was looking for catnip but there was none to be found....perhaps next week.

I did manage to get a couple of bags of goods, the new greens bagged up fresh, a loaf of crusty Ciabatta from Timothy Sean Fitzgerald, a couple of Irish lads.

At one point as I'm lost in looking at some plants I feel a hand on my shoulder and a voice saying "I hope this is Marianne", I turn and find friend Terri and her husband Nigel (yes, he's Brit born and raised and a lovelier man you couldn't ask for) Terri and I usually run into each other at the Wild Oats store and it's always beyond a pleasure to see her. We've worked together in the past...many years ago...on an annual project called "Embellishments" which was a wearable art show. Putting this thing together pretty much drove us all nuts but Terri was (and is) amazing, her organizational skills..simply amazing.. and one year I found out that one of her favourite all time treats was drinking dark Guinness and eating dark chocolate...together. One year after the show I gave her a 6-pack and a huge bar of dark chocolate, she was quite surprised and yes, a little tickled. They have daughters and they live across town and we always mean to get together and...and...and... it's crazy that we have such a hard time doing that.

I gathered up my goodies and headed home. I really need do need to get out more often....as in every Saturday morning to the Farmer's Market.

There's the knitting I've managed this week, seriously, how lame is this...oh yeah, I have been working on a couple of other things...kind of silly and I can't be showing them right now...

I love making these Magic 28 socks! The red ones are knit with Lamb's Pride worsted, the purple (Paton's Classic) with a bit of ho'made hand-painted, Naturespun which by itself is really quite awful looking but it works just fine used in this manner...slip stitching going on.


Remember the sock-felted clog trade off with Dana? Back last Fall when our Blessed Harlot was so busy knitting all those 'step out/up' (?) socks for the Knitty Gritty (which damn, I missed it) and because sometimes if I have the time I read through the comments and there's this comment from some lady named Dana...says she CANNOT understand what the big deal is about knitting socks..etc... and really, this tickled me no end and I left the comment that perhaps someone should knit Dana 'a' sock and send it to her, have her begging for its mate...well evidently she went back through reading comments and saw mine...and wrote me saying that she had a good giggle about my comment...this exchange lead to the idea of trading a pair of socks for a pair of felted clogs and I jumped on it. Well....we both needed to get through the holiday knitting first...then I ordered some Lisa Souza merino for the socks, had to wait for that, it got here and I started the socks...I've got to tell you, those socks took forever and because I screwed up on the first one...AFTER I started the second one, I had to take the first one out and do it over and that yarn, that beautifully soft yarn kept whispering things to me but mainly it was telling me it wanted to be a shawl...I kid you not...heh, I told it to hush, it was getting a lacy bit for the leg and since in the end I knit 3 socks....but I did finally finish the socks and sent them off to Dana with a note explaining the socks desires..and would she kindly lay them across her shoulders every now and then...I had promised the yarn I'd ask....
Here's the socks.




Here's the felted clogs. (Why, yes...we both DO love green!)


I love these clogs. They got here....Thursday...she left them a bit on the large size just to be safe so I tossed them in the washer for more felting, took them out and they're just this side of completely dry and I've got to tell you, they are fabulous. They're thick and oh so incredibly warm! She also sent a lap quilt which is just what I've been needing for those extra chilly nights while knitting. Dana, Thank You! so very much!Oh yeah, Dana 'gets it' about the handknit sock thing now, and will soon be making her very first pair... welcome to the dark side, my dear.


I really should be going to my Mother's to work on that jungle back 40....see? (These photos show just small portions of the jungle back 40)





But it's also just full of this....

Lots of it too.






Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should work on this in the winter after all this had died down, what do you think?


Happy Knitting to All and continue to make.good.time.


ps Avery did stop by the blog and read all the comments and thanks each and every one of you who wished him a happy birthday.

18 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

The market sounds like a wonderful place to spend some time on a Saturday morning!

I love your Magic 28 socks. I've been seeing them all over the place, I'll have to take a look at the pattern.

Your clogs are wonderful! What a great exchange, and a lovely way to make a new friend. :0)

28 April, 2007 15:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your Magic 28 socks, especially the purple ones! I've only made one pair so far; gotta get moving on that.

What a great trade you and Dana had; the socks are lovely and those clogs look so comfy.

I vote for winter on the back 40.

28 April, 2007 15:29  
Blogger Sarah said...

Glad that you've had a sunny lovely Saturday too and good work on converting Dana, I'm not surprised with the beautiful socks you did for her. Great clogs in return though.

As for that jungle - I'm thinking winter is a much better time to be tackling it!

28 April, 2007 15:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm stealing a few minutes of the sun to catch up, and I must say, I don't know who's luckier - you or Dana...All the socks are great, but Dana's rock very hard. Hmmm. I'm glossing over those snazzy stitch markers. Mine are packed safely away.
I also love the Magic Warshrag 28 socks. Tee-hee.

You are such a good person, Marianne. We are so keenly graced to know you.

28 April, 2007 16:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that poison ivy? Well, you could wait until winter OR you could head in there with a flame thrower. Your choice! ;-)

The socks and the clogs are great. What a wonderful exchange. Enjoy your warm slippers!

28 April, 2007 16:49  
Blogger Dianne said...

Yeah..what a neat exchange!!..I think you both did QUITE well!
The socks are gorgeous..the clogs..are yummy..2 terrific ladies made some excellent trades.
I vote winter on the back 40...maybe the winter of 2020..see how motivated I am!!
Happy Knitting~~

28 April, 2007 17:22  
Blogger Emma said...

Ah! The Farmer's Market. We never go there either, but your description makes me want to put it on the list for next weekend.

28 April, 2007 17:35  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

How does that saying go? Leaves of three...let it be? Something like that.

You will absolutely love those clogs. I made some for myself last year and made several pair for nieces and nephews for Christmas. Out of all of my shoes, those clogs are my favorite pair.

28 April, 2007 19:15  
Blogger Unknown said...

momma, you always want to put things off until the "winter" for some reason or another... pideys will be hibernatin' so they won't come bite usas well as all of the other buggies that are mean...you taught me to be the exact same way! love you~!
my dress never came, but i wore a pretty, pretty pink foofoo dress to the wedding, i had a very lovely bouquet too(green roses and they smelled sooooooooo yummy!), i have it in the fridge and dunno what to do with it!

29 April, 2007 01:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that was a fun knitting exchange story from beginning to end! The merino lace socks are so pretty - worth all your time and effort!!

29 April, 2007 11:44  
Blogger Kelly said...

Ah, I live next door to a small outdoor farmer's market. It's lovely, but it's not open yet for the season.

I wanted to say that I really love the green socks you made for the trade. Very pretty. And thanks for the link to the Magic 28 page. i hadn't seen that before.

29 April, 2007 16:02  
Blogger Kitty Mommy said...

Oh, I just love going to Farmer's Market. The big one downtown is already going, but our little local one starts next week and the kids and I go almost every week.

29 April, 2007 16:29  
Blogger picperfic said...

what a splendid exchange of beautiful gifts...I love that green too, it's my absolute favourite! Love the sound of your saunter round the market and how special to meet up with your old friends like that...Guinness and Chocolate...hmmm...sounds like it would make a nice rich cake too!
Those magic28 socks look so cosy andpretty...you're an angel Marianne!

29 April, 2007 16:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Terri you can get Marmite with Guiness in now ...truly horrible .I love both but seperate . I do think chocolate would go with a strong stout .I love those clogs and that bread sound wonderful.

30 April, 2007 13:10  
Blogger Joanna said...

I'd love to spend Saturday mornings at the market, with you of course Marianne, I love the magic 28 socks, and the clogs are fantastic, wow that wilderness is some jungle, Neo would love monster hunting in there! Just read the comment about poison ivy, something I've never seen and only heard about in songs...so maybe have to keep Neo out of there, although if you're getting a flame thrower he's going to want to have a go!!

30 April, 2007 13:13  
Blogger Kate A. said...

What a lovely, lovely post! Those green socks for Dana are GORGEOUS, as are her clogs - perhaps the most beautiful felted clogs I've seen yet! What a wonderful exchange!

Love the green photos, too, and thanks for the referral to the Magic 28 socks - didn't know about them!

30 April, 2007 18:18  
Blogger Dana said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying the slippers. I ADORE YOUR SOCKS, believe me! :) As for the "Back 40," that sounds like a great summer project for your sons. :) (Remind them of your labor & their deliveries if they balk). That or a flamethrower. LOL Have a great one! xoxox

01 May, 2007 09:27  
Blogger Janine said...

I love the farmer's market, hate the poison Ivy. Come to jenks, I found a really awesome yarn sale with a lot of inventory from Naturally needlepoint. go to my blog for details!

05 May, 2007 09:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home