Monday, April 09, 2007

True Confessions.......

Argh. I wrote this whole post out in my compose... which is what I do...then copy and paste into my blog, then add photos and play with placement...but somehow I pulled a 'dork-head' when I was copying, and lost half of it, tried to retrieve.... let's just all hang our heads and shake them slowly...well, you don't have to but that's what I'm doing.

It's been a whole week since I've last posted, it's been very busy in our little neck of woods. What with the yard work....entertaining a friend from Mass., more yard work, Gracie days, it goes on and on.

The confession? I have never, ever knit a blankie square, ever. I made these for Julie's Comfort Blanket for her friend Betty. Since they're the first ones I've ever made...I decided to make two and hopefully at least one and at best both will pass 'muster' and make it into the blanket.



This one is knit with Classic Elite Beatrice. I found the ball in the discount bin and loved the colours. Brings to my mind woodland violets. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this yarn in this colourway, it's impossibly soft and lovely to knit with. I would love to have a cardi's worth of it in my stash, but sadly I don't. I may have to check around and see if I can find some.



This one is knit with Ultra Alpaca so we know how soft it is. No, it's NOT a 'warshrag' but I do love that pattern and I think it makes a lovely square,eh?


They've both been bathed and blocked and will get to the post this morning. I'd also like to thank the good people who responded to my last post and joined in on the project.. Amy (here in Tulsa), Dana and Dianne (Virginia), Charity (Canada), Marianne (UK) and Jason (California). Big Thank You! and Thank You, Julie, for giving me this opportunity to spread the love in a knitterly fashion. (if I've missed anyone, please sing out in the comments)


I did finish Mom's socks,



and YES, they are a bit big on my feet, her feet are a bit larger than mine but they fit her perfectly and she's beyond happy with them. These are knit with Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino Dream, colour is Seashell. It's a very nice and substantial fingering weight, and very much a dream to knit with but.....after I bathed them and lay them out to dry...upon drying? mercy, this yarn is divine...again with the incredible softness, and it's silky soft. I will keep my eye out for more of this I'm thinking perhaps I should have a pair of socks made with it. I got it in the great yarn trade out with the wonderful anniversary gift from Bobby.

After I finished mowing and trimming our yard on Monday the maple trees decided to take that opportunity to throw down a couple million seeds (I do love those helicopters!) Here's what it looked like.


It HAD been solid green for all of 5, maybe 10 minutes.


Wednesday was spent at my Mom's, cleaning, raking, mowing, repeat 10 times....we're talking nearly 6 hours of decent hard work. There's more to do, the lot in back which we all refer to as the 'north 40' needs some serious weed wacking, Aardron has offered to help out, possibly this afternoon depending on how his day goes.


Bleeding Heart in the back yard. I dearly love these plants.



My favourite little old fella,

he's been with me for a long time, and hey, he's got quite a few divots on his forehead, and I really do try and keep him in the shade...... I've watched the squirrels play with him, do little dances on his head, I kid you not, and I never have a camera in hand when any of that is going on.


I can't remember what else I may have written about so until next time....


Happy Knitting to all and continue to make.good.time.

15 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

Nice squares and socks! I confess I have also never knitted a blankie square ;)

09 April, 2007 10:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful blanket squares! I love Beatrice too - I have enough for a sweater, but am afraid to use it up!
It sure looks a lot nicer in OK than it is in MA - every time my crocuses try to peek out it snows!

09 April, 2007 11:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to know what that shade of celestial merino would look like made up. I love the soft colours. The blanket squares are really lovely .I hope you are having a good Easter Monday . We are having a very sleepy one with us all laying in ( Jeff never did that until he was ill).

09 April, 2007 11:11  
Blogger Kitty Mommy said...

Love the bleeding hearts! My grandma had them in her garden when I was little...

09 April, 2007 11:26  
Blogger knottykitty said...

A ballband as a blanket square--an eternal ballband! A ballband should last longer than a dishcloth, don't you think? :) How cool! Love those socks, too--very pretty.

09 April, 2007 11:57  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great work - both knitting and gardening. I have the bleeding heart flowers too, planted them last year and it's such a treat to see them come up again this year. I have a white version too.

09 April, 2007 12:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marianne, Both those squares are gorgeous! Thank you so much - for the knitting, for spreading the word, for all the thoughts and prayers for Betty, and also for your very kind e-mails. You are a truly special person!

The socks you knit your mom are beautiful; I can almost feel the softness right through my computer :)

I have a couple Bleeding Heart plants in my yard (of course they are not growing right now) and they are my favorite. I just love the delicate little hearts hanging from the branches.

09 April, 2007 12:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woman - your squares are gorgeous. I don't know whether or not I should tell you that I think Beatrice is on sale over at Webs...look in Closeouts/overstocks. It's there, sister, a tidy little reward for your good heart!
My ex-bleeding heart is pure white. It really is inexplicable as to why I love it so much. I will miss her when I move.

09 April, 2007 13:54  
Blogger knottykitty said...

Hi, it's me again---thanks for the suggestions! I am a big fan of the three-needle bind-off, by the way. The recipient wants a long scarf, so I've been weighing the yarn left periodically. If I can get it long enough and have enough yarn weight left, I'm definitely going to do two halves. If the yarn starts going too fast, I'll just bite the bullet and keep knitting, hoping to get as much length as possible (the recipient says she likes scarves that are 1.8-2 meters long!!) :) deb

09 April, 2007 14:01  
Blogger Dianne said...

Oh Marianne, I am now feeling SO inept..I've never done a square either..and mine is very obvious!!
Your's look like a work of art!!How gorgeous!! And Mom's socks..they just look great..and must feel like a million dollars on your feet...maybe my square can hide behind yours..for backing..
Happy Knitting!!~

09 April, 2007 16:55  
Blogger Charity said...

Marianne, your squares are so lovely! Beautiful. And the socks for your mum are lovely, too. The yarn is so, so pretty. :0)

09 April, 2007 17:43  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

You have been a busy woman!

I've never knit or crocheted a blanket square either. Yours have great character. I've always loved that dishcloth pattern and thought it should be used for more lofty items.

09 April, 2007 23:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful squares and socks, Marianne! They all look gorgeous. And oh, that pic of the propellors! (that's what we called 'em. [g]) I looked at the full-sized one and nearly fell over. Good grief, those maples have been busy. Almost as busy as you've been. I think I got exhausted just from reading. ;) Good going!

10 April, 2007 02:15  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

Your yard looks beautiful, helicopters or not.

10 April, 2007 17:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful squares! I am working on mine, but I am not liking the yarn. I think I need to visit the LYS and get something else.

I love bleeding hearts! I am going to see if I can find one this year.

13 April, 2007 23:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home