Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Done & Done! Post by Gretchen

I have to say that this is one very fine shawl pattern. Intriguing but not difficult. Repetitive but not mindless. And just when you get tired of doing one thing, you got something new to do. This was the first shawl I’ve done that starts at the base and grows up and out while you keep the base on the needles, and, to tell you the truth, I was a little nervous. It never looked right on the needles – you know? In fact I was looking at the earlier photo and it sort of looks like an ultrasound to me.

So when I actually took it off the needle to lay it out in its natural triangular shape I was at once relieved and mystified. How’d it do that?



And the shrinkage? Well, I will say as it came off the pins it sprung back a little, but not too badly – no need to don safety glasses or anything. But next time – it’s gonna be all wool.

My stats:
Yarn – Kitten Mohair from SandnesGarn
Needle - Size 7 circular needle from the KnitPicks Options
Finished Size – altitude 30”, base 58”

15 Comments:

Blogger knottykitty said...

What a beautiful shawl! You did a great job! :)

deb

22 March, 2007 00:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess they could do ultra-sounds of our workbaskets Gretchen . Your shawl is lovely , has Marianne finished hers yet?

22 March, 2007 02:52  
Blogger picperfic said...

well it just looks gorgeous! I am making my second ever shawl and they are both knitted from the nech down and I love that technique. Isn't the cast on so clever too, the 4 chains that you unzip! It just amazed me as I went along, now how on earth does someone come up with that idea? It's beyond me!

22 March, 2007 05:04  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I am glad that you were able to complete the blocking process without losing an eye. Did you make it for yourself or is it a gift?

22 March, 2007 05:16  
Blogger Joanna said...

Its lovely Gretchen, I love the colour,I'm glad you didn't lose an eye blocking it!

22 March, 2007 08:19  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

I think I just might knit that beautiful shawl!
You are right, it reminds one of an ultrasound pic.

22 March, 2007 08:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl, Gretchen! Now, when are you starting your blog?

22 March, 2007 09:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's beautiful. I love knitting shawls with that sort of contrucion. It just feels like magic.

22 March, 2007 10:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a daftie Marianne..yours is beautiful too .

22 March, 2007 13:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, lovely, Gretchen! Such a pretty. I simply want to sit and stare at both yours and Marianne's. Maybe pet once in a while. I've never managed a yen to knit a shawl yet, and frankly, dunno that I'd ever wear one. But y'know, shawls don't need a reason to be made. Just having them be is reason enough for their existence, because they are beautiful. And both of you've certainly shown that!

22 March, 2007 13:46  
Blogger Dana said...

GORGEOUS! My mailing address is.... (just teasin'). :) Great job - - pat yourself on the back!

22 March, 2007 15:38  
Blogger Joanna said...

Came back for another look.....have just noticed the way you are blocking it, is that a yellow thread? Obviously I've never made a shawl so is this what they recommended when they talk about blocking, yeah when is the blog starting up Gretch...there's certainly a demand for it!!!

23 March, 2007 03:28  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Gretchen this is fabulous well done:) and where is Mariannes? Enquiring minds need to know:)
amber in scotland

23 March, 2007 16:00  
Blogger Dianne said...

WOW..totally gorgeous!! I'm getting itchy fingers to try some lace..maybe I should just scratch the fingers and move on..Happy Knitting!!

23 March, 2007 17:57  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

An ultrasound of your shawl....well, of course. How else would you have known how lovely it was going to turn out? (It is lovely, too.)

24 March, 2007 18:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home