Monday, December 03, 2007

Shame faced...

I'll get to the shame faced issues later...

I can hardly believe how the time has flown.. with Thanksgiving thrown in there... what have I been doing.

I finished this and mailed it off, it has been received (thankfully with much delight),



this was knit with love for Ms. Clover Grace, Julie's granddaughter, who will be making her debut soon! *****SHE'S HERE!!!!******* I used a US #3 circular needle, shetland wool, my very first BSJ! that EZ, what genius mind. Love this pattern!

Love it so much....


I also knit this.....

(I know it's not seamed up in this photo but yes, it did get seamed up)
for a certain bouncing baby boy, I kid you not, he weighed in at 12 lbs at birth, so ok, his Mom is diabetic and it's a medical condition, but mercy...he made his arrival on Sept 24 (?) this jacket is bigger than the first one. I used Mission Falls 1824 Wool, #7 circular... He lives in Nashville, TN, and his Grandma Cass informed me the weather there was cold and wet and they're looking forward to this little jacket. I was going to post it off yesterday but last night was Knitnight at the library... had to take it in and let everyone see it... and fondle it.
The little hat I made to go with... and the Smooch...
Little earflaps, just winged those.... Hey Julie, this next photo is one for your DH..... creep out time? (check out the colour on those lips! this is a very old baby doll, she was mine when I was very very young, and I think it's kind of creepy those lips are still that red!)

No holiday knitting going on here, seriously, it's hard for me to believe but there you go. However, I am knitting a blankie, for Bobby, and I don't have photos yet. Soon, I hope.

I have also fallen... hard... for a shawl design, Anne's Irtfa'a... seriously, I bought and downloaded it last Monday, and although I have no idea when I'll get to the knitting of this most stunning shawl, I am just that much closer with the design in hand, eh? Did you follow that link? Did you see it? This design has touched my soul in a way no shawl has, and believe me, there are a few that have touched me, my soul. This one... it's really special. Anne has many beautiful designs up and more to come.

I think I wrote in my last post about showing photos taken of 'my' room... it's been so long since I've had a little room to call my very own... so here it is.

This is a little antique folding desk, the top flips up for storage underneath... Gracie uses this as 'her' desk.... she works very hard at her desk.

That little doll? really small... with moving arms and legs and the eyes open and shut, I kid you not... that little teapot in front of it? about an inch across... not a great photo but you might be able to click on it (as with all my photos) to get a better view, this teapot is a true little beauty.

Oh look.....a spinning wheel! Gee..... ain't she pretty? Esther, who is a member of our knitting group at the library was selling this wheel, she'd had it for 20 years, hadn't been spinning and decided to sell it..... I don't know how to spin. I'm going to learn. Sometime. I will.




A couple of weeks ago I helped out a friend, Dee, with sock patterns, which I was really tickled to do in that she's always directing me toward dishcloth patterns, I was only too happy to do the same for her, and look...


she made this! I had seen this on her blog a few weeks ago when she was working on it and had finished it, it's so pretty, I'm such a sucker for the holly!

This is hanging on the lamp right next to my pc and I love turning my head just a bit and seeing it.. thank you, Dee, that was sooo sweet of you!

Now... the shame faced thing... there's a couple.. but I'll cover just one today. Norma was part of that NoBloMoFo... yes, I know that's her version of it but I like it and plus, I couldn't tell you what it's really called because my brain got stuck with the 'MoFo' version... anyway, she brought to my attention that the Soaring Eagles Project is in need of some helping hands... be sure to check out the 'tally' in the side-bar. I've not been my usual charity knitting self lately... the thing is, this is for children in Oklahoma! seriously, just down the 'road' a ways! So... I've put the blankie down and did some stash diving and I have mittens on the needles now. I'll continue knitting mittens until the 14th... because Rachel will be in Tulsa on the 15th and I'll get what I have to her. Would anyone else like to join in? Please? Mittens are easy... honestly, quicker than socks... in machine-washable fibres....


Other than keeping those fallen leaves cleaned up off the baby grass, of which I can actually see the new baby grass... and fairly mild weather so I've been working a bit cleaning out parts of the flower beds and laying in the leaf mulch (waste not, want not), knitting on the blankie, taking care of Conor and Gracie (who btw... whacked a hunk of hair out of her bangs... again, heh) I've been trying to take it a bit easier on myself and it seems to be working out for the better.


Next post I'll hopefully have photos of my feeble attempts at holiday sprucing around here... the next door neighbors to the west of us have a huge Grinch in their yard, I'm not so secretively tickled about this.


Happy Knitting to All and continue to make good times.










36 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you like the little teacup. It was fun to make.

I LOVE the lamp it's on. I'm a sucker for Prairie/Frank Lloyd Wright, etc... kind of stuff. Even sent my son to a FLW designed college.

Now, if I could only find a bungalow in a place we like AND can afford! LOL

03 December, 2007 08:44  
Blogger Robin said...

WOW...love your room, it's so inviting! Mine is a jumbled up mess right now!

03 December, 2007 08:46  
Blogger Paula said...

Nice room! Those little jackets are very cute. I've never made one and really must give it a try someday.

03 December, 2007 09:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The very first thing I noticed in your room was the spinning wheel. YAY for you! Your room is beautiful; you should see my "spare oom" - MESS!

I'm sending a link to this post to hubby; I'm sure he'll love the dolly :-)

03 December, 2007 09:42  
Blogger picperfic said...

lovely to hear from you blogwise! Your room is gorgeous, so calm and neat and tidy....oh and I am jealous of your spinning wheel...one day...one day....x

03 December, 2007 11:28  
Blogger Kitty Mommy said...

Oh what a gorgeous shawl! I can't wait to see the process unfold!

I am also very jealous of the spinning wheel, though I keep reminding myself that in order to keep one in working order, I would have to keep it away from the kidlings, which means I could never use it. Guess I'll stick to drop spindle for now!

How lovely to have your own room again. I sort of have one, but I need to do a lot of work to make it usable. Anything that we don't know what to do with ends up in there. *sigh* Someday!

03 December, 2007 12:10  
Blogger weebug said...

I Love the picture of your room, it is so nice and cozy. however, i am not liking this new blogger comment thingie.

03 December, 2007 13:47  
Blogger nonizamboni said...

Oh, your very own room looks wonderful, cozy and full of the most interesting things! And you've been done such lovely knitting. Glad life is feeling good for you. (a grinch in their yard??!!)
Thanks for your kind words -- seeing your name appear in my comments always touches me.

03 December, 2007 15:27  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Those jackets turned out so well! I love both of them. And I just adore your room -- thanks so much for the tour. It's exactly the sort of space I LOVE -- warm and cozy and full of wood and light. The perfect place to be creative and peaceful. Thanks for the compliments on Simurgh -- I adore it, too. I am considering knitting Irtfa'a as well -- this raven design of Anne's has just hit me right where I live. And thanks for the hair compliment, too -- I'm SO glad I hacked it off! :)

03 December, 2007 17:17  
Blogger Emma said...

Ooh, I can't wait for you to make the shawl! I think you should get started right away.

03 December, 2007 17:51  
Blogger Charity said...

Love all those baby knits, but the thought of a 12lb babe sends shivers down my spine! :0)

The shawl sounds lovely.

03 December, 2007 18:54  
Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Clover is going to look soooo cute in that little jacket!!! And we've got the perfect weather for nice warm sweaters right now. She must have known that you made her the sweater and this is what inspired her to arrive for the first snow storm of the season...

03 December, 2007 20:17  
Blogger midgeling said...

Um... WOW. The sweaters and hat turned out great! Those are some lucky babies!

And I totally agree - Irtfa is lovely. I can't wait to see yours in action.

03 December, 2007 22:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me an enabler - what about a Irtfa'a KAL? We could do some kind of fake deadline that we could all ignore...
Or, we could take a spinning class - dude, that is my exact same Ashford Traditional - it looks like the same era... Very pretty, very calm room of your own. It's fun to think of you there - scouring the blogs, you and Gracie working hard together... very sweet!

Finally, I think we need some bang pictures...

03 December, 2007 22:20  
Blogger Granny Smith said...

I really love your room. I'm just glad you can't see mine (corner of our bedroom). Would I were as neat as you are.

Thanks for the advice on posting a picture on my comments. I didn't get around to doing it until today, but your directions were very clear, as one would expect from a dedicated knitter!

03 December, 2007 23:29  
Blogger Norma said...

I LOVE your room. AND all your knits. Sweet!

04 December, 2007 06:38  
Blogger Dana said...

I second Robin. Your room looks like a haven! How sweet for you.

The baby sweaters/jackets are breathtaking! I noticed you made a pair of Saartje's with Clover's jacket. The booties and hat(with Cass' grandson) are wonderful additional touches.

Repeat after me..."No more scissors Gracie." LOL

04 December, 2007 08:46  
Blogger Faren said...

Love the BSJs and your room looks so nice and homey!

04 December, 2007 09:59  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

That Gracie is going to be a stylist when she grows up. She has a knack for it.

I love your room, and I am glad Esther's wheel found a good home. I would like to have one, but even if I knew how to spin, I don't have room for one right now.

A Grinch? Why bother?

04 December, 2007 10:56  
Blogger Jason said...

Love BSJs! The matching items are so cute too! Did I tell you that I want to do an Adult Surprise Jacket? Better do the baby version first.

Beautiful and cozy room! Can you come help me clean mine? LOL I am furiously cleaning "my room" before our German guest arrives next week. Maybe I'll take a photo of it when it's done. Boy, I can't believe the fiber stuff I have in there! LOL

The rectangular version of the Raven is almost done! I wonder if it is suitable for men (ME)? What color do you envision your shawl will be?

Will check out the Soaring Eagle Project.

04 December, 2007 12:34  
Blogger Dianne said...

Some most beautiful knits..and your room..is just as I expected..Perfect!..so organized as you are.
Love the baby items..so cute!!
Give Gracie time..I think there's talent there..what's a few more snips?..
Be well and happy Knitting!!

04 December, 2007 13:04  
Blogger Monika said...

I love, love, love your room. I'd like to move in, seriously! The spinning wheel looks like mine. I have an Ashford Traditional, and guess what? I bought a second wheel today on ebay!!! I thought I wouldn't do that, but here I am. :o) Looking forward to some spinning of yours. I'm self taught, and it's so much fun!

04 December, 2007 14:23  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely room, nice Ashford wheel by the way :)

Got you on Irtfa! I am dyeing my own yarn for that one, cashmere and alpaca, base of dark indigo, then overdyeing in deepest purple, and royal blue.

I love the baby jackets, EZ was so talented :)
If you do want to learn to spin, track down the DVD by Mabel Ross, Yarn Barn has it. Yes it is an old DVD, but MR was spinnings equivalent of EZ.

04 December, 2007 15:30  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh, a spinning wheel! Welcome to the dark side! What a great room!

04 December, 2007 17:26  
Blogger Joanna said...

You have been a busy bee, I just love the baby surprise jackets, and I can see why you've fallen for that shawl pattern, a true beauty to behold, I love the edging, a wheel marianne, why that looks like an Ashford Trad...I'll be over in a tick to get you spinning on that little baby...if only xoxoxox

05 December, 2007 07:16  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Love your room. It looks wonderfully peaceful and warm.

06 December, 2007 08:27  
Blogger Pat said...

I want your room!!!
Beautiful litte sweaters/hat/booties!
I bet you'll fly right past me with Irtfa'a...

06 December, 2007 08:34  
Blogger Eric & Tony said...

I'm loving your room.

07 December, 2007 13:25  
Blogger Angela Cox said...

Your room is gorgeous , really cosythe booties are so cute ( I keep meaning to need those just cos of the cute factor). . I love the E.Z jackets and must try one for Holly's baby box ....one day I hope !

09 December, 2007 02:28  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Love the EZ jackets. But the new Knitspot shawl - breathtaking. I know just what you mean about its calling to you. There is something so powerful about that design. I'm going to make it too.

09 December, 2007 06:54  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

Are you OK, over there? Do you have power?

17 December, 2007 09:05  
Blogger Joanna said...

Well I guess we're all holding our breath and waiting to see your hand waving and hear you shouting to tell us you're ok, and it was only a little frost xxx

17 December, 2007 14:10  
Blogger nonizamboni said...

I miss you! Hope things are back to normal in OK, with lights, heat, freezer running, oven producing dozens of cookies, etc., eh?!
Take good care.

17 December, 2007 14:39  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy knitting to you too; love your room, I can now imagine you happily blogging away on your computer. Good luck with the wheel.

17 December, 2007 16:42  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

OK, I am starting to get really worried now, if I knew where your new house was I would just come by and check on you. I know where your mother lives...don't make me tell your mother on you.

18 December, 2007 15:34  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Marianne :) Just checking in to see if you are ok and enjoying the Christmas madness!

20 December, 2007 10:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home