Saturday, January 12, 2008

On this day 54 years ago.....

Well Friends, it's come to this, 54. Today is apparently 'the' day.

To celebrate... well I FINALLY joined in on the 'Pay It Forward'... the first time I saw this was on Sarah's blog, back in September. I was arse deep in alligators at the time and although I was wanting to join in, I knew I wouldn't be able to pull it off. I figured I'd get my chance eventually... and I did.



I joined Joselyn's when she posted in December... and silly me, there's actually two versions (that I've seen) of this going around, one is for 6 months and one is for a year.... apparently from the comment I left on her blog to join I was thinking hers was for the year version, nope... but ya know what?

What's the title of this blog?
Close your eyes and say it... Marianne's Knotminding... so....
I'm splitting that time and going with 9 months, blast me if you'd like, but there you have it. (I am just painfully aware of how time can get away from me, and allowing myself plenty of it)

“It’s the Pay It Forward Exchange. It’s based on the concept of the movie “Pay it Forward” where acts or deeds of kindness are done without expecting something in return, just passing it on, with hope that the recipients of the acts of kindness are passed on. So here’s how it works. I will make and send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment to this post on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I do not know what that gift will be yet, and it won’t be sent this month, probably not next month, but it will be sent (within 6 months)(or in my case, 9 months) and that’s a promise! What YOU have to do in return, then, is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.
I will now Pay It Forward to you THREE, I wonder who you will be?! Please, be a PIF! You will enjoy it just as much as we do!”

And, remember…you have 6 months (or 9 months, to be 'fair') to get your gifts done!
Also, you don’t have to knit or crochet to participate, anyone who can make a nice handmade gift is welcome to join.

Any takers?

Havala's Birthday Celebration Dinner... much fun was had by all, the sushi was delicious, as were the Pearl-tinis (Glenna, Pearl-tini cupcakes?). I'm really not much of a drinker, but people, these babies are GOOD. Pearl pomegranate vodka with cranberry and pineapple juices, absolutely yummy, refreshing, and oh so pretty. They'll also kick your butt. Havala and I had two...each. and we laughed. and chuckled. and gigglesnorted. She loves her scarf and after reading the comments (she and I both thank you) she finally 'got it', that K1P1 Forever...

I got to wear it to Knitnight to show (off) and I've got to say, it's NICE, warm and soft...

Today's going to be a busy one, I'll be driving out to pick Avery up, bring him here for a couple of days, we're having a dinner this evening... I hope not to have camnesia... the camera is charging as I type...

I have been knitting, two projects, well.... one pattern, two items, knitting the Thorpe hat, one for Conor and one for Gracie.
More on those next post, with photos (hopefully).

What's a birthday without cake?

You Are a Chocolate Cake

Fun, comforting, and friendly.
You are a true classic, and while you're not super cutting edge, you're high quality.
People love your company - and have even been known to get addicted to you.


or flowers?


You Are A Lily

You are a nurturer and all around natural therapist.
People see you as their rock. And they are able to depend on you.
You are a soothing influence. You can make people feel better with a few words.
Your caring has more of an impact than even you realize.


Or fibre?








What kind of yarn are you?




You are Merino Wool.You are very easygoing and sweet. People like to keep you close because you are so softhearted. You love to be comfortable and warm from your head to your toes.
Take this quiz!








Quizilla
Join

Make A Quiz More Quizzes Grab Code



Or sammiches? Heh.

You Are a Grilled Cheese Sandwich

You are a traditional person with very simple tastes.
In your opinion, the best things in life are free, easy, and fun.
You totally go with the flow. And you enjoy every minute of it!

Your best friend: The Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Your mortal enemy: The Ham Sandwich



Happy Knitting to All and carry on with making good time.


36 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

does this mean that today is YOUR birthday?? :) I hope you have a wonderful day filled with love, light and everything that's good! (but not a card from me since you went and snuck it in there... I'm sure that maybe something could be on its way as a belated something or 'nother... :) )

Have fun with the PIF! I signed up on another blog and then did it on mine and within a week or so found the PERFECT present for my giftee! It's great fun!

12 January, 2008 09:07  
Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Mariiiiaaaannnnnne, Haaaapppppyyyyyy biiiiirrrrrthdaaaaaay tooooo yooooooooou.

Yhat was much more pleasant than having to hear me do it in person and if Madeline were here she would have done the version about living in a zoo and looking like a monkey. She cracks herself up sometimes.

I hope this is the best birthday you have ever had. I leaning toward joining your pay it forward game, but have not committed 100% yet. Some of your alligators have found there way over here. :)

12 January, 2008 09:42  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday, my dear!

OK. I think I'm finally convinced. Count me in for the pay-it-forward. I've been thinking about joining in for a while now, and gosh darn it if you haven't pushed me over the edge... :)

12 January, 2008 09:58  
Blogger Kitty Mommy said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day and find the perfect way to celebrate!

I'll PIF! I have been thinking about doing this, but haven't yet.

12 January, 2008 10:10  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Happy birthday dear friend and hope you have a lovely time tonight:)

12 January, 2008 10:13  
Blogger Charity said...

Happy, happy, happy, happy Birthday, dear Marianne! So glad to hear you girls had a blast together. :0)

I took all your quizzes, and turned out the same on every one! Imagine that, eh?

12 January, 2008 11:04  
Blogger Angela Cox said...

54 eh ? Yet there's me 52 and you have twice my energy !! It'll be Gracie and Connor keeping you young !! I hope you are having a fantastic day , ours will soon be over.So " Hippo birdie to ewe, hippo birdie dear Marianne , hippo birdie two ewes" angie, Jeff and Hollyxx

12 January, 2008 12:02  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I'm sorry I wasn't one of the first three, I would truly love a handmade gift from you. I love the idea of PIF. I try to do it in a small scale in my everyday life. Some days work out better than others.

Happy Birthday to you. I hope its a wonderful day filled with blessings! You are truly one of my blessings, I value your wit, wisdom and having found you. Cheers!

12 January, 2008 12:05  
Blogger Glenna C said...

Aw man let's DEFINITELY have some Pearl-tini cupcakes! Pom + vodka + cran + pineapple? All kinds of delicious!

Happy birthday!

12 January, 2008 13:15  
Blogger weebug said...

i love all the things that you are, they describe you well.

12 January, 2008 14:03  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy happy HAPPY birthday to you; hope it's a LOVELY one. Sounds like lovely family time will be involved :o)

Glad you are PIFing; got a feeling I may end up at the 9 month deadline though I was a 6 month sign up :o)

12 January, 2008 15:58  
Blogger Dianne said...

Happy Birthday Marianne..Sis
I can't join your PIF..but it sounds quite fun..because I have no idea what the next 6 or 9 months will bring..and would hate to leave anyone hanging out to dry..or fiberless.
I tend to be the RAOK sort of person and I'd hate to screw that up..

12 January, 2008 15:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Many happy returns of the day!

12 January, 2008 16:47  
Blogger Norma said...

A 54-year-old grilled cheese sammich????? Must be Velveeta. Hee.

Happy Birthday!!!!!

12 January, 2008 18:47  
Blogger Dana said...

Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Enjoy your special day and know that you are thoroughly loved!

12 January, 2008 19:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Happy Happy! This happens to also be the birthday of another very good friend of mine--college gal pal. So this is a great day indeed. And, this year you shall learn to spin!! Lots to look forward to there.
Cheers!

12 January, 2008 22:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, a day late and a dollar short (I think I'd be a half-eaten sandwich if I took the quiz...)

Enjoy the day after, too!

13 January, 2008 06:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! I ignore this little box for a few days and miss a very important day!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU; I hope it was wonderful - just like you :-)

I already committed to PIF a while ago - the 1 year version.

Those Pearl-tinis sound yummy; I want one
!

13 January, 2008 15:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. I just made a Thorpe for Samm; what a great pattern.

13 January, 2008 15:42  
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy birthday to a lovely lady. I hope it was a great day.

13 January, 2008 16:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, shit. I had it in my head that your big day was the 13th? I was gonna double check in your archives, and thought to myself -nah, it's the 13th - I remember distinctly.
As to PIF - darling, those of us sorryass blogless folks will just have to figure something else out...you know I will...
Happiest, belated days of all the year for you. You earned this one in spades. Make a weekend of it! PS - I'm afraid to take the sandwich quiz. The ham sandwich outcome would be too much to deal with! Mmmmmmmmmmmwah!

14 January, 2008 00:04  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awww, Happy Birthday (belated but with feeling)!

14 January, 2008 06:46  
Blogger Joanna said...

I'm with Gretch....maybe she was transmitting the 13th to me as I do recall a contest last year, hope you had a marvellous birthday weekend and got lots of nice treats! xoxox

14 January, 2008 08:45  
Blogger Jason said...

Belated Happy Birthday! Sorry that I missed the actual day. Have you gotten 3 PIF takers? If not, count me in. :-)

14 January, 2008 09:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday mummzie! I think Jason there is the "official" third taker!

14 January, 2008 14:51  
Blogger nonizamboni said...

Happy birthday, Dearie! Hope it was a perfect day! Enjoy your time with Avery. Stop by for a visit when you get back; I have a little something for you!
p.s. I'm a strawberry cake, thank you very much and after I took that test, with all that talk of cake, frosting and p.i.e., I was too hungry to take the rest. :O)

14 January, 2008 14:58  
Blogger picperfic said...

Oh Marianne...Happy Birthday!! How did I miss this post? I would have done the PIF with you if I could have got here first!

14 January, 2008 18:34  
Blogger Vanessa said...

how was the birthday?

14 January, 2008 19:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

14 January, 2008 22:02  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Nine months is definitely OK! In fact, let's be real -- mine might oodge over into the nine-month range as well :) I'm so glad you all had wonderful birthday celebrations!! Those drinks sound lovely, and the gigglesnorting sounds even better :)

15 January, 2008 12:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you the happiest birthday! What a wonderful post! LOL, I am merino, too. I am going to do the Pay It Forward someday, too. I just doubt I would get the 3 commenters, lol! Nearly all of the people who read my blog (all 14 of them) are comment-shy.

It is funny how sometimes when I am in the Starbucks drive-thru I will pay for the car behind me. The last time the guy said "Are you sure? It's like $9 Your order is less than half of that.?" Then he got all happy and giddy when I assured him that was fine. It was nice to see that I made him happy in addition to the people behind me.

I am going to have to try those pearl-tinis. I could really use one these days, heheh. And thanks for your comments. They always brighten my day. {{hug}}

15 January, 2008 23:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy am I ever late to the birthday party!! Well I STILL want to say Happy Birthday Marianne!
(I'm 1 year behind you)

17 January, 2008 14:39  
Blogger Charity said...

Hey, Marianne! Pop over to my blog, I have something there for you... :0)

17 January, 2008 17:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I currently possess the proud title of latest commenter. [g] (See, I told you I was never on time...) Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day, and that this year you get a chance to rest and recharge. You having time and energy to knit is sounding good, though. Enjoy 54! ::many hugs::

22 January, 2008 04:43  
Blogger Sanders said...

happy Happy Happy Birthday!

Hope you can make knit night tonight! Bring your ball winder... I've still got to dig up the rest of the yarn I was going to bring!

22 January, 2008 08:39  
Blogger Ellie Finlay said...

Well!

As a committed vegetarian, I'm delighted that you "are" a cheese sandwich and that your best friend is a peanut butter sandwich.

What a hoot!

Oh, Marianne, and thanks for stopping by Child of Illusion. See you again soon!!!

22 January, 2009 09:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home